What is involved with adding some Mcode options to a 1400-4 1995 88HS control?

Cant say there was ever a probe installed on this machine, so would imagine it doesnt have any of that stuff?

Wanting to basically have a couple circuits that I could tailor to various things... main thing is sort of a "poor man's probe" setup. IE a Mitutoyo digital indicator with SPC out (and I have the link cable from the mitutoyo to PC PS/2 port) with an aux connector for the "take reading" button. Currently, I run this in my manual machine, but its time consuming, and read about this idea on the PM forum. Setting up the part, zero out the indicator, take a reading, move .010 in X and take another and so forth for about 3" worth of travel on two sides of the one part (no Y measurements - just Z along the X axis).

Ideally, something that was an intermittent signal would be handy... rather than an ON/OFF setup like the M60 and M61 that is on the machine for the A axis brake - or the coolant controls (M7 M8 M9) - but I realize beggars cant be choosers.

I could easily do something from the M7/M9 side of things, and that may just be the best way to do it... but maybe there is a better way Im not thinking of? Just need the momentary signal to trip a relay for the "take measurement", as too long of a button press seems to make for multiple readings - and I have the SPC output filling in a spread sheet on the PC. Could always do a timed relay or something for 30-40 milliseconds or something... Course having a probe and such for it to record the data would be handy... but out of the budget for the time being.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Wade