585,581 active members*
3,841 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Touch probes 101!

I would like to purchase a touch probe fairly soon for my cnc machine using mach 3.

I found the "touch probe" plugin for mach below: It does state "may not work with newer versions of mach". I have the newest version..
    ArtSoft USA - Plugins

So basically im asking who has a really good affordable touch probe that uses mach 3? Also what do you use to convert the points to a solid model.

I have solidworks 2011, and access to solidcam and mastercam, along with cambam.

I may need a short "101" intro on how this whole operation works.

Deskcnc probe:
    Desk CNC from IMService

cnc4pc.com probe:
    CNC4PC

Shark Probe:
    CNC Shark Touch Probe - Rockler Woodworking Tools

The shark probe is the most expensive but when used with there software it converts and smooths the entire model to a .stl and then claims it can immediately cut when it just probed. Sounds awesome but $600 for probe and software is $$$$.

Anyways, let me know! I would like to be able to "reverse engineer" some parts and also use it to just setup up jigs, zero x,y,z on work pieces, etc.

DeskCNC TP-100 Is roughly $325
    Probe - TP100 Probe

cnc4pc.com probe $125
    CNC4PC

Shark $299
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22582

I could almost buy 3 of the cnc4pc probes for the price of one Tp-100, or shark. Same quality?

touch probe

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    I would like to purchase a touch probe fairly soon for my cnc machine using mach 3.

I found the "touch probe" plugin for mach below: It does state "may not work with newer versions of mach". I have the newest version..
    ArtSoft USA - Plugins

So basically im asking who has a really good affordable touch probe that uses mach 3? Also what do you use to convert the points to a solid model.

I have solidworks 2011, and access to solidcam and mastercam, along with cambam.

I may need a short "101" intro on how this whole operation works.

Deskcnc probe:
    Desk CNC from IMService

cnc4pc.com probe:
    CNC4PC

Shark Probe:
    CNC Shark Touch Probe - Rockler Woodworking Tools

The shark probe is the most expensive but when used with there software it converts and smooths the entire model to a .stl and then claims it can immediately cut when it just probed. Sounds awesome but $600 for probe and software is $$$$.

Anyways, let me know! I would like to be able to "reverse engineer" some parts and also use it to just setup up jigs, zero x,y,z on work pieces, etc.
    you can find probes on e-bay for around 225.00 ea

Quote Originally Posted by broussard View Post
    you can find probes on e-bay for around 225.00 ea
    you can find them at http://cgi.ebay.com/TOOL-PRESETTER-C...N-TOUCH-PROBE-

Thank you! The link expired but i searched, tool setter and touch probe and found it.

So @ $225 dollars what is the advantage of that unit compared to the the cnc4pc.com unit at almost half the price? Possibly a bit more quality materials, and engineering?

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Thank you! The link expired but i searched, tool setter and touch probe and found it.

So @ $225 dollars what is the advantage of that unit compared to the the cnc4pc.com unit at almost half the price? Possibly a bit more quality materials, and engineering?
    You might look at this one. $125 + shipping.

Vicrider

Assuming the DeskCNC and the Ebay are the same, or at least have interchangeable parts, getting replacement/different size probes for it should be easier than for the CNC4PC one.
    Plus, ruby tip is generally preferable.

Quote Originally Posted by vicrider View Post
    You might look at this one. $125 + shipping.

Vicrider
    Vicrider,

That probe is the same probe that cnc4pc.com retails.

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Assuming the DeskCNC and the Ebay are the same, or at least have interchangeable parts, getting replacement/different size probes for it should be easier than for the CNC4PC one.
    Plus, ruby tip is generally preferable.
    Very true. Whats the deal with the ruby tip?

Touch probes for sale
    [email protected]
    $125
    has any got one of these are they any good

Quote Originally Posted by daniellyall View Post
    Touch probes for sale
    [email protected]
    $125
    has any got one of these are they any good

I just purchased one, but from his retailer cnc4pc.com
    Havent used it yet, but its well made.

Check out the Tormach passive probe. I just purchased one and it's very good for the money IMHO. I have no affiliation but a happy customer

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Check out the Tormach passive probe. I just purchased one and it's very good for the money IMHO. I have no affiliation but a happy customer

David
    Dang! that is a really nice probe! I ended up going with the cnc4pc probe (glorified hobbyist probe that can produce great results with a smaller price tag). I will get comfortable with the probe operation (probably crash it a few times) since its pretty affordable i wont feel so bad. The tormach probe is on my wish list now!! Once i can handle normal probing operations ill get that beast. Looks really high quality.

Any you tube videos using it? Also, i use mach 3. which are the best programs to use with it?

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...ml#post1121201

I did get my touch probe functioning on a C32 Breakout board. reference link above if anyone else decides to go down this path with the same setup.

Email changed for my probe. Send me a private message.
    Or email me at [email protected]

tried to contact arnie but email bounced. do you have contact info? i am interested in probe. thanx

He just posted a new email address on the Machsupport forum yesterday.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'm about to purchase the same probe from cnc4pc, but want to use the sharkpro software to scan a part. has anyone purchased this software before and is it any good? I see it using the cut3d program, which I already have, and I check their website to see if it comes with a recording program, but it doesn't say anything about that just the cut3d program. if it is just that program how would I start scanning? thanks

zerodegreec Guest
    FWIW I bought the CNC4PC probe. Was so bad that they sent me another one. This one is not much better. It cant hold its accuracy for more than 2 "tool" changes. The body and tip are not even close to being concentric on either of the ones I have in my shop right now. I am sending both back for a refund and am going to spend the money on the Tormach Passive Porbe

Quote Originally Posted by zerodegreec View Post
    FWIW I bought the CNC4PC probe. Was so bad that they sent me another one. This one is not much better. It cant hold its accuracy for more than 2 "tool" changes. The body and tip are not even close to being concentric on either of the ones I have in my shop right now. I am sending both back for a refund and am going to spend the money on the Tormach Passive Porbe
    Did you get the Tormach Passive Probe? Is it good? Thx.

Page 1 of 2 12