584,333 active members*
6,371 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Do I have CAT40 or BT40 on my VMC15?

Do I have CAT40 or BT40 on my VMC15?

Hi, my machine is still not powered up as I'm waiting on a contractor to open up a wall (long story).

How can I tell if it takes BT40 or CAT40?

Do they use a standard pull stud? I compared someone that was advertising "Fadal pull studs" with the studs sold at Maritool and there were two candidates but I could not confirm because some dimensions were for different features.... plus both were for BT40

http://www.maritool.com/p570/Pull-St...duct_info.html
    http://www.maritool.com/p806/Pull-St...duct_info.html

BTW, I do have about twenty BT40 Lyndex holders (ER16, TG100, and a Floating Tap) which I would like to use. Though it would not be the end of the world if I did not.

Thanks!

The groove at The flange on a Cat 40 Tool holder is smaller than the Bt.

atc

the keys on the tool carrier will be on the top for bt and under the tool clip for cat there may be info in the side electric cabinet on a set up sheet form the factory about the installed options.the cat and bt use the same spindle+drawbar so no retention knob changes.you can change the machine over to cat or bt what ever you want, the tool clips do need to be changed,the tool carrier fliped over and the cold start spot reset,so it is easy to do the only cost is the clips,atc-0028 are cat and atc-0029 for bt. bt fadals are rare so it is most likely cat.

Cool thanks for both tips.

Attached is a pic from the bottom of the ATC showing the keys at the bottom.

There was also a check list in the electrical panel of when the machine was first installed as you mentioned. It confirms it is a Cat40

Now I have to figure our whether to sell all of that BT40 tooling or convert it to BT *sigh*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails atc.jpg  

You can use the BT tooling in the spindle - JUST NOT THE ATC - you could change tools by hand
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

FADAL BT clips

If you are interested in changing your ATC over to the BT holders, I have 30 pcs of the BT clips new for your FADAL.
    They were included with a CAT-40 machine that we bought used.
    James