585,937 active members*
3,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Need help wiring motor to driver and controller - pictures included

Need help wiring motor to driver and controller - pictures included

I'm very much a beginner to CNC. I'm trying to build a machine that adheres photos to acrylic tiles. The system uses a stepper motor and ballscrew to provide the motion that moves the tile under the rubber laminator roller.

I've finally assembled all the components and am having a little trouble knowing which connection goes where. There are basically 4 components

1. 4200oz nema 42 stepper motor
    2. DQ2722M Stepper motor driver
    3. KTA-190 stepper motor controller
    4. 24V Power Supply

The stepper motor driver has 240V input so no separate power supply is required. The 24V power supply is for the KTA-190 board. The KTA-190 is basically an interface between the serial port on a computer and the stepper motor driver. It allows commands in ASCII to be sent that create the pulses for the driver. There is more information about it here

Serial Stepper Motor Controller 12VDC :: Stepper :: Motor Controllers :: Ocean Controls

Note, I bought the 24V DC version.

My understanding is that I need to

1. Connect the 24V supply (V- V+) to the KTA-190
    2. Connect the stepper motor to the B- B+ A- A+ on the driver
    3. Connect 240V AC to the N L and Ground on the driver
    4. Connect 240V AC to the N L and Ground on the 24V power supply
    5. Somehow connect the PU+ PU- and DR+ and DR- to from the KTA-190 to the DQ2722M

I would really appreciate any specific guidance in this hookup.

Kind regards
    Liam
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails All.jpg   Controller1.jpg   Controller2.jpg   Driver1.jpg  

Driver2.jpg   Driver3.jpg   PowerSupply2.jpg   Power Supply 1.jpg  

Controller3.jpg   Driver4.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ltovey View Post

My understanding is that I need to

1. Connect the 24V supply (V- V+) to the KTA-190
    2. Connect the stepper motor to the B- B+ A- A+ on the driver
    3. Connect 240V AC to the N L and Ground on the driver
    4. Connect 240V AC to the N L and Ground on the 24V power supply
    5. Somehow connect the PU+ PU- and DR+ and DR- to from the KTA-190 to the DQ2722M
    I do not have any direct experience with that equipment, however from my reading of the documentation, it appears to me that your steps 1, 2, 3, and 4 are correct.

For step 5, my interpretation of the documentation is that you would connect the S1 output of the KTA-190 to the PU+ input of the DQ2722M, connect the D1 output of the KTA-190 to the DR+ input of the DQ2722M, and connect the COM output of the KTA-190 to both the PU- and DR- inputs of the DQ2722M.

I make no guarantees, though...

(You may want to investigate additional wiring options, though - for example, an emergency power off switch, as well as some kind of "enable" circuitry to control the start-up of the system so that you don't get unexpected movement of the stepper motor upon turning on the power.)

thanks

Thank-you so much. I followed your instructions and it worked wonderfully. I was really nervous about going it and your guidance made the job so much easier.

Kind regards

Liam