585,975 active members*
4,630 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

First Build Now Open for Critique

Hi All,
    My first post on this site, though I have been lurking for some time getting ideas for my first build. Which leads me to thank everyone in advance for your ideas and hints. Many of you may recognize pieces of your machines in this build. Not sure where to start, so I will give you the basics with some pictures, followed by later video posts.
    The machine is a basic 8020 gantry router built with spare parts found in various scrap parts bins, dumpsters, and E-bay. In fact the only parts purchased new are the; Smooth stepper (usb type) with a C25 break-out brd, and 2 KL-6050 drivers/with KL34 motors. The router envlope is ~ z=177mm, x=655, and y=805. So far I have only been brave enough to cut some MDF at about 1000mm/m. Plenty fast for now till I get a better feel for different tooling and materials.
    As of now the only software I am using is a demo copy of Mach-3 with it's included wizards. Let me say, Mach3 and the wizards have gone a long way to getting this project to where it is. I will recommend them to everyone. Once I have reached the limitations of the Mach3 demo software, I will have no problem purchasing the full license. My main goal for this project is to have a tool for cutting; MDF, light plate Al, plexi-glass panels, and acrylic. Side note, anyone have a good suggestion for a basic 2d CAD package priced under $200?
    Enough post for now, I invite everyone to offer their critiques and to those looking for ideas, take what you can. More to follow....

I would recommend TurboCAD for the CAD and CamBam form the CAM. These two work well for me and the price can't be beat.

Rick

Way Cool, Thanks Rick. I am slowly increasing my tool investments as I learn more about what I need. The turbo-cad may just fit my need. i have not looked much at CAM packages yet. The machine part was easy, the software is going to kill me.

Nice build, I often wonder how lucky one needs to be to find parts like those in the dumpster!

Me too... All i ever find in the local dumpster is broken Shipping palate and a good day is to find some shelving units. ... what dumpster do i have to dive to find linear rail ?

You might also check out Cut2d. Both these CAM programs have a free trial period. CAMBAM has a rudimentary CAD built into it. Hope this helps a bit.
    Rick

For basic 2d stuff I use draftsight for cad and cut2d for cam. Draftsight is the best price, free. And cut2d was cheap.

Thanks for the suggestions on software, I can now narrow my search down from $6k, to something more reasonable. Every part on my tool has a story. I work in the semiconductor manufacturing industry, where every part has to function with out a hitch 7/24 and any parts over 5 years old are obsolete. Those guides and screws are 15+years old but were perfect for my needs. They were the score that kicked me into finally moving on this project, definetly could not have afforded a new set.

Re: First Build Now Open for Critique

Hey All, The machine has been up and running for a year now , with 200+hrs of run time. It has run like a champ, but I figured it was time for a PM and a few upgrades. So here are a few pics of old #1. The PM side focused on clean/lubing the LM guides and lead screws, replacing the drive belts, tightening wire lugs, etc. The main upgrade was fixing an annoying 0.02" dip in the middle of the work surface by installing additional center bracing and replacing the worn 1/2" spoil board with a new 3/4 deck. Initial measurements can not detect any deviations other then that seen in the texture of the new deck... more measurement are in the works to actually quantify the improvement. On the fun side I added a new laptop stand fabricated from an old oak stair tread and CRT arm. Very happy with the overall machine, It would not have been possible without all the posters in this forum. Thanks All.
    Attachment 262524Attachment 262526Attachment 262528Attachment 262530