585,602 active members*
3,552 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Dual Plasma Router Table Design Concept Idea - Any Good?

I've been reading on these forums quite a bit lately. I'm about to start my build of a 4' by 8' cutting area CNC router table and I really want to be able to do plasma as well.

I am planning on making the work table for the routing part removable in sections from the frame, allowing me to replace said table with some slats for plasma work. I don't plan on having a water table at this time. The whole thing will be on wheels, so I can roll it outside of the garage when I want to do plasma. I suppose I could have a water table hidden underneath the removable table top and do it this way as well.

An idea just occurred to me that might allow me to leave my routing table in place, but I don't know if it's remotely feasible. I'm new to plasma cutting so if I'm proposing something ridiculous please be kind but informative in your response.

My Z-axis will have a travel of about 13 inches, and I'm thinking about having some mounting points higher up from the routing table to add slats for supporting plasma work. These slats would then be removable to work with the routing table, which would now be permanently affixed.

between the slats and the routing table I would suspend a welding blanket that I can quickly hook into the table frame via hooks. with a couple inches of air on either side.

My question for everyone is this.

Would this be a suitable arrangement to stop the slag from hurting my routing table or would it burn through the welding blanket?

Good idea? Bad idea?

Would the slag stick to the blanket or would it be relatively easy to sweep off afterwards?

It would be alot easier to add some slats and clip in a blanket than to remove an entire table top.

Any other options?

I wouldn't trust a welding blanket to catch all the sparks and crud.

What size is your table? I'm thinking a water tray with slats that could sit on top of your router table might be a fairly easy way to go--just need to fill/drain the water when you want to switch back and forth.
    Carl

The table cutting area will be just over 4' by 8'. If I put the water table on top of the router table it would have to be removable in sections, or I would have to content myself with a smaller working area for plasma. If it were removable in sections I think I would eventually damage the tables where they meet and the water would spill out.

Also, emptying a water table and removing it, I think will be more work than removing a table top, albeit it would be nice to have the table top non-removable for alignment reasons.

Steel slats on their own are easy to make modular.

I've read from lots of people on these forums who want to or are planning to make a dual use plasma / router table but I have yet to see one picture of someone who actually pulled it off.

plasma router

I pulled it off i use my table for plasma cutting and for router work. Here is the link to my table.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/plasma...uild_4x10.html

Any questions just ask
    Dave

Dave,

Thanks for sharing. Nice build! I had a look at your vid in post #67. I can't really see but it looks like all you needed to do was take out the steel slats and clamp a support board along the top. That's kind of what I'm thinking, but in sections for the whole 8 feet with a spoilboard on top and some guides that keep the alignment without clamping. Either that or the welding blanket idea........

It also looks like you drained the water table in the vid. If I go with a water table I don't want to fill it up with sawdust. Is this a problem? I know you've got a pump and a storage tank for your water table. I figure if the entire water table is covered it will be harder for sawdust to get in. If I don't go with a water table this isn't an issue.

Right now what I'm thinking is going with a removable table top for routing and removable steel slats for plasma without a water table. If it turns out that I do alot of plasma then I'll add a water table later.

Thanks again for your input!

You are correct i just remove the slats and i have a piece of plywood that sits on top of the slat holders and away you go. I have a plug that i put in the drain so dust doesn't get in the water tank. I am happy that i made it for both. I don't do a lot of router work but its nice to have
    Dave