584,830 active members*
5,655 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Simodrive 611

I have a BP Discovery 308 with a Simodrive 611. If I give a speed higher than 2500 rpm on the spindle the drive faults out. I can step up to 6k with no problem. Also when I run the machine for more than a few hours the drive will fault out when rapiding the Z back to home position. Some have suggested the caps in the drive power section need to be changed. Googling I find a gaggle of places that fix Siemens drives. Has anyone had some experience with any of the drive repair places? Or can you recommend a place to send the drive to?

I'm in the midwest USA.

Thanks
    John

Open the cabinet door and check the fault code displayed on the spindle drive when spindle faults out.

Before sending your Z drive for repair, I will suggest you to confirm whether it is the drive's problem, as Z ballscew bearing might cause the same. Again, check the code number displayed on Z drive when the alarm occurs. Also, you can swap Y, Z drive to confirm whether there's a problem with the drive. Swapping the drives doesn't need you to change any setting or parameter.

Actually I don't suspect any problems with any of the axis drives but rather the AC to DC converter part.

John

if you mean the ER-module, i don't think it causes the problem.

The ER module is the biggest problem with these drives,especially the early ones.If an early model loses a phase while enabled it will destroy it.
    Usually if the ER unit is a gonner nothing works.
    Check the dc link voltage on the busbars it should be about 660 dc.Get someone to monitor the voltage while you ramp the speed up.

Quote Originally Posted by gridley51 View Post
    Check the dc link voltage on the busbars it should be about 660 dc.Get someone to monitor the voltage while you ramp the speed up.
    Should be around 600V, when you have 400-415V input voltage.

Yes, I suspect the E/R module as the core problem. It seems the capacitors get old and you experience problems with a drop in power. Heck if I could source the capacitors I'd replace them myself. I think I checked the voltage but not under a load.

Just checked and under normal conditions the DC buss was 601v at an overload jumped to 668v then fell down to 575v after enabling the drive it went back to 601v.

I have 240vac mains and run off of a well balanced phase converter. My simodrive 611 in the lathe has no problems running at 0-6k spindle speeds and both run off of the same phase converter.

John

Quote Originally Posted by gridley51 View Post
    Check the dc link voltage on the busbars it should be about 660 dc.
    Apologies,pressed the wrong key twice.