584,805 active members*
5,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > KM3 Spindle Problems

KM3 Spindle Problems

I have a brand new (to me) KM3 that will start up and calibrate, but when I try and start the spindle, it fails. I can turn the spindle quite easily by hand, and I can hear the motor trying to start. There is a possibility that the 3 Phase is wired in reverse, but I don't know what it would do if I were to switch it, and since I am fairly certain I have it correct, I would rather not risk it.

Any recommendations?

Check the three fuses in the black holder in the middle of the left cabinet.

All three check out at .4 ohms.

This machine doesn't have a white machine number on it, starting with an M does it?

Ill take a look when I get home from work.

It's serial number SDA-9003030E (From the left cabinet plate)
    There is no white machine number I can find.

I'm assuming it's in gear correctly and the brake is releasing. Maybe all three phases aren't getting ti the motor. It could be a duff contactor or overload. Look for the ones marked FOR and REV and check for continuity with the power off and checking through them with the little button in the middle of the contactor pressed in.

With the black button depressed, there appears to be continuity.

How would I check the brake?

Also, what would be the result of reverse wired phases? I had to install a new power plug on the cord and there is a slight possibility they are reversed, though I am fairly certain I have it right.

Reversing the phases will have no bad effects unless it has an auto speed controller for the spindle (that has a three phase motor too and will run the wrong way and possibly break the little chain in the front of the head). All you will see is the spindle running backwards (in high gear).

With the power on and the air off (check the brake on the left of the head is not stuck on and is in an unextended condition) press the button in the middle of the contactor for spindle FOR and see if it runs. If you can hear the motor and the spindle isn't turning, check the belt is ok.

The motor begins to turn, but doesn't start spinning. It goes maybe 5 degrees and stops.

The brake is in an unextended position.

What should I be looking for on the belt, is there a speed position that I am most likely to be able to get it running if it is that?

Quote Originally Posted by efinkg View Post
    The motor begins to turn, but doesn't start spinning. It goes maybe 5 degrees and stops.
    Not to jump in here but you are missing a phase on your motor. (Bloke, I'm assuming this is an ordinary 3-phase motor such as found on a varispeed Bridgeport, yes?) This could either be no voltage getting to the motor on one of the three wires, a faulty motor that's got a burned up winding, or bad connections somewhere. Do you have a multimeter?

First check - do you have voltage on all three phases going into the machine? The control and servo motors will run with only 2 phases connected while all three are needed to run the spindle motor. If you're using an RPC make sure that it's working properly.

Second check, if you have 3 incoming voltages.
    POWER OFF! UNPLUG MACHINE!
    Measure resistance between the terminals on the "motor side" of the "for" or "rev" contactors, it doesn't matter which, only need to check one. Measure resistance between the two outside terminals, then between the center terminal and each outside terminal in turn. The three resistances should be very close to each other.
    Let us know what you find.

The machine input power is missing the hot leg. I'm going to work with the electrician to get that fixed, thanks for all the assistance.

sir plz check it spindle drive parameter