585,557 active members*
3,278 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

a benchtop CNC vertical mill

hello all,

I am currently engaged in a small benchtop CNC scratch build. I dont have time to do it, but I am making the time. hopefully this build blog will help me stay on track.

and now a little about the project. this mill has a traditional vertical mill layout where the table has the ways on it and the slide does both x and y. the y ways are the base of the machine.

I told my self that I would not spend very much on this project, we will see how that goes. so far it has cost me about $5.00.

also I want percision, although I am less interested in speed, that is important too, I also want to make an ATC for it. hey a guy can dream cant he?

at the moment the planned travals are:
    x 16"
    y 6"
    z 12"

the table will be 6" x 24"

I will most likely use steppers for the positioning.

anyway. it is made of scrap that I had laying around from other projects. the mill is starting its life with cold rolled steel 1" x 2" haveing a track milled into is to acomadate the box slide. they are bolted to a 5" x 12" x 3/4" hot rolled plate. I am scraping them flat right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0006.JPG  

I have been working on the slide carriage; unfortunately I am battling serious square and parallel issues with the mill I am using. Oh well, I will just have to be more creative on setting up my work. Cast iron is a joy to machine, but even then I have managed to chip my second carbide cutter on it. My mill just sucks; hopefully when I am done this CNC mill will be way better.

The bumpy road to get where I am going will just make my arrival that much more sweet!