585,712 active members*
3,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > cw/ccw spindle direction

cw/ccw spindle direction

i ask everyone i work with this question and no one can give me a solid answer including a guy who worked for gosinger for years. okumas allow you to go from clockwise to counterclockwise without stopping ( in manual of course) is this bad to do , if it is, then why does it allow you to? Also, my lu300m has such a heavy door on it for such a small machine, both lu300m's in my shop are like this, plus the mori-seiki at my last shop, is this because of the live tooling? if not why, and besides greasing the bearings and checking them for dead spots, what can be done to make it glide easier, opening and closing it hundreds of times a day all week kills your lower back! not to sound like a wimp, but if anyone knows either please get back to me!

A CNC spindle is usually under control with a drive, so the drive itself can take care of the process of reversing without plugging the motor, as you would with a contactor reverser for example.
    Everything is taken care of electronically.
    So as far as the motor is concerned there should be nothing to worry about, whether it is good practice from the mechanical demands placed on the machine may be another matter.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I agree with Al that the it doesn't harm the machine. It will affect your cycle time and power bill much more than it affects the machine.

The door is intentionally built heavy to keep parts from coming through it in the event of a catastrophic failure. Some people order or install themselves an auto door just for that reason. It also helps to cue them when a cycle is complete.

Other than that, you can also check the door wipers and adjust them so that they drag less or Squeegee the door with less pressure. It takes almost no contact for them to work, but they can have substantial drag as they are installed at the factory...worth a check. Also check to make sure no chips are dragging on the door as it opens and closes. They tend to accumulate in the labyrinth behind the left side of the door.

Best regards,

The occasional fwd to reverse won't harm anything, but in a program is not a good idea. Okuma has a certain duty cycle on the drives, and if you exceed it regularly it's gonna pop.

ThanKs

Thank you for the quick responses! I don't think I articulated my question about the door properly though. I understand the doors are built with the chance of flying objects in mind. What I was saying is the actual weight of the door is way more than that of the lb's or cadets or captains or crowns. I ran a mori seiki with a similar extremely heavy door, I have troubleshot every possibility of hinderance on my lu300m, it works properly, it is just unusually heavy.

for your door, check if one wheel are off the track, this is frequent on okumas

we got 11 of those and they all had door problems one day in their lives