585,754 active members*
3,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Dewalt DWP611 1.25hp router $120 Lowes
Page 2 of 4 1234
    I was thinking to make an adapter like that... But the biggest issue is this will increase the runout. As you tighten the set screw, it pushes the bit off center.

Quote Originally Posted by CarveOne View Post
    The best place to get precision collets is PreciseBits but they don't yet show them on the website. If there are enough calls asking about them they will probably add it to their list. Or at least investigate whether one they already sell will fit the DW611.

If you use anything like a split adapter insert your router will be likely to get louder from the higher run-out the insert is likely to give. Consequently, your new router's bearings will go bad relatively quickly, depending on how bad the run-out is.

CarveOne
    When I first got my 611, I emailed and ask if any collets they made would fit. They looked into it and said no. I ask if they were going to make any and they said they would be doing some R&D to see what they might make. That was a long time ago.

The solution seems at this point to find 1/8 and 1/16 bits with 1/4 shanks.

Remember, this is a router and not a laminate trimmer or a Roto-Zip-type of tool. You will be amazed at the torque this router has. It really made it possible for me to machine dense hardwoods on my small CNC.

And you will be amazed how quiet it is when cutting at half-speed. Some of the quietness I experienced I think is because of the three-flute down-spiral bits; no howling as experienced with the two-flute straight-flute bits.

Sounds like a pretty nice option to replace my Harbor Freight laminate trimmer. What is the diameter of the lower part of the body? The part with the spiral groove in it.

thanks
    Don

Hi don,

Are you asking for the diameter of the aluminum body? If so, 69mm.

thanks jimmyaz

Don

Well, I made the mount for the Dewalt today. Here's my speculation.

1/4 3 flute end mill
    1 speed (16000rpm?)

Cutting aluminum ( I think 5051) at .5 per pass at 1000mm/m. I didn't see the rpm bog to much, but I did notice a little bit of chatter (not as stiff as my DIY spindle for sure.... But the cut was smooth and clean... Seem to be working pretty good IMO.

This might be the ideal router for CNC router intend for hardwood, G10, and light aluminum cut. Well, for me, .5mm per pass at 1000 is pretty good...

The question is, how long can it withstand this. I am guessing that it should be ok, since they advertise it can cut 1/2 inches of wood.... .5mm aluminum shouldn't be a problem... let hope so.

At that RPM 1 would use a 2-flute endmill, and save the 3-flute for finishing passes. For pocketing I run my 2-flute endmills at about 18Krpm, and the 3-flute at 12Krpm, at 72ipm (1800mm/min) and .125"doc (2.54mm). If I go slower or use a shallower doc I reduce the spindle speed proportionately. I also helix in at 3-4 degrees. For profiling I reduce the doc by about half. You don't want to spin the bit in the aluminum and make dust; this just heats up the bit. Otherwise if you must use a 3-flute, and you can't drop the spindle speed, I'd increase the feedrate as much as possible; though without some kind of flood coolant or vacuum, you'll be leaving chips behind and the last thing you want to do is recut chips!

DPW611 on my smaller router

Photos show:

1. Mount before installing router

2. DPW611 mounted and old laminate trimmer and 1-2-3 block

3. DPW611 and 1-2-3 block

4. Photo taken with no flash to show brightness of LEDs.

Cuts purple heart with ease at half-speed [3/6] at 35ipm with 1/4-inch 3-flute downcut spiral bit. Cuts lexan running at same speeds without too much balling along edge. Cuts pine and black walnut like it is doing nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PICT2442a.jpg   PICT2451a.jpg   PICT2452a.jpg   PICT2454a.jpg  

Ok guys, I finally took the bait.

While at Lowe's this morning getting some other minor things I bought the last one of these DW611 routers they had. I can guarantee you that the next ones they get in will be $20 cheaper than when I bought this one.

They had the DW618 (2-1/4hp) reduced (clearance sale) to $67 and I didn't buy it. There was only one in stock and one on display and there was a sticker on the one box saying that it was returned, had been used, and was dusty. The box was sealed. Regular price was $169. Probably someone "borrowed" it over a weekend for a small job and returned it to get their "deposit" back. Or ran it into a nail or deck screw and swapped it for another new one. If it is not sold by Tuesday I may take a chance on it.

This one will be saved for future use in case my Hitachi M12VC croaks.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

just a bunch of rationalizations

C1:

Face it, what you wrote in just a bunch of rationalizations to cover up the fact you are a tool junkie.

You really need to join Tool Junkies Anonymous.

They have meetings weekly at the Woodcraft stores.

See ya there!! (group)

Z.

The closest Woodcraft store to me is over 100 miles. It's always a regular stop when I find enough excuses to make the drive. But there is internet access to their website from here..... I used it to get the PC7518 router from them.

Sounds like I need to start myself a Woodcraft franchise store for this area.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Just replaced my cheap Harbor Freight trim router with the DWP611 and all I can say is 'wow'. Very smooth and best of all much more quiet than the HF cheapo. While I had good service from the HF trim router, I sure don't miss the noise even tho I had a speed control on it. The DWP611 speed control is very nice, even maintaining good torque at lower rpms. I am a happy camper!!!

Don

I'm drooling for a DWP611 (trying not to get any on my MDF)
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Well my drooling days are over, I am going to pick up a DWP611 this weekend as a BD present for myself. I hope everyone is still happy with the performance of theirs.
    Rob
    Deeds not words...
    VoltsAndBolts runs RC for the builder. http://www.voltsandboltsonline.com/ My Forum

Still very happy with the one I bought. Probably 20 hours use on it now.

Don

Please be aware the Lowes cost is back up to regular retail. I've been scoping cull lumber for an eagle project and the stores I hit had it back at $13x.

{edit}
    Lowes online - $139
    Homedepot online - $139
    Amazon - $115 free shipping

I haven't used mine for CNC cutting yet, but looked at them today at the local Lowe's and it's $139.99 here also.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Well my Lowes was up to $139 as well. it was for my Birthday and the wife said "Just go ahead a get it" (I don't hear that often.) so I did. Today I'm designing a new mount for it.

Rob Wms.
    Deeds not words...

Quote Originally Posted by voltsandbolts View Post
    Well my Lowes was up to $139 as well. it was for my Birthday and the wife said "Just go ahead a get it" (I don't hear that often.) so I did. Today I'm designing a new mount for it.

Rob Wms.
    Never argue with your wife when it's going in your favor...... :cheers:
    When these go on sale again I am thinking of getting a spare. I'll be using mine for cutting mostly aluminum and carbon plate parts on my smaller steel frame machine.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

It's back to $119.00 at my local Lowes. $114 with free shipping on amazon.

Page 2 of 4 1234