585,763 active members*
4,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with a Interact I mk 2

I picked up an Interact I mk2 at auction a while back. The controller and servos powered up fine, but the spindle won't spin up.

I have the maintenance manual and have gone through the diagnostic flowchart and ended up with a faulty drive diagnosis. Now I am tryingt to troubleshoot the MTI and thyristor drive boards. A couple of the diodes on the MTI board look like they have been replaced in the past, so that is were I will start first.

Would anyone have a copy of the schematics for the spindle motor drive?

Any other thoughts, suggestions?

The MTI tells me you have the KTK spindle drive. Does the one LED on the MTI card light up? It should, and if it does not you will not have a field voltage at the motor.
    The thyristor board also has LEDs on all the gates. The top board can be swung down to view these when (if) the spindle is give a command to rotate.
    BTW, there is no parts, no support, and no repair by KTK of this drive. They consider it obsolete. EMI-inc.net has a replacement drive, but it is pricey.
    I have a lot of notes on this drive, including a BPT set of notes on repair and the original KTK manual. Just need a email address.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George,

Thanks for the help. I sent you an e-mail with my address. The LED does come on, but I am only measuring a motor field of 203V ac or 124 DC, if I read the maintenance manual correctly it should be around 400V. I will have to scope it to take a look at the waveform. I look forward to seeing the notes and manual, that should be a big help in figuring this out.

Thanks again for the help.

Paul

Spindle Issues....Arrrgggg!!!!

Hey guys,
    I think that I am suffering from a similar problem with my machine. I have the exact same machine (mine has the Heidenhain TNC2500 controller) and the spindle won't run. I get a "Spindle Fault" message on the controller and a flashing green light under the cycle start button. Everything else works....except that.

I was checking around the machine and noticed that is has an air line connection at the back of the machine. Does this thing require air or is that for optional equipment. The manual that I have doesn't say anything except "hook up the power".

Any ideas where I can locate a service manual????

I am a student and on a limited budget. I got the mill for a song a year ago and it has taken me this long to get the power run and everything ready.

Thanks for your help in advance!!!

Eric

Eric,
    need your email to send you the KTK manual and the maintenance course notes for same.
    About 9MB total of PDF files.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

George,

Just want to say thanks for your help on the spindle debugging. Ends up it was a combination of issues.

1. Needed to clean some contacts on the TNC-151.
    2. Had L1 & L2 in the phase converter.
    3. The tach wires were not secured/intermitent

Without the manuals that you sent, I would probably still be banging my head against the wall.

If you are ever out in Boise, I owe you a beer.

Paul

Bravo! Glad it is running.

George

George is fantastic!!!!
    He set me up with manuals that solved my problem. I think that he has Beer waiting in every state!

Thanks again George!!!

Eric

I also have the same problem with our machine. We curently only use the machie with an air spindle for engraving work. it sure would be nice to get the spindle working again. if you could also email me the manual as well it would be greatly appreciated. My email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Jim

George has a case waiting in Washington for him

i had exactly the same problem with my interact1 mk2 with 2500 controller spindel fault error kept coming up as we kept probing around we found that there is a small transformer on the mti board that cooked if you look carefuly you will see the plastic insulator cracks around the transformer.we unsoldered the old transformer and had a larger more heavy duty one made and mounted it of the board inside the cabinet i believe that transformer problem is common the new one we installed workes great greg b

I am getting the same error with my new machine. Every time, I try to start the spindle, the Fuse 2 on board (MTI-1 I believe) separate from the drive goes off. The drive is a FAC-1R KTK. Many of the LEDs are on when the machine is started:

LED 5, LED 9, LED 8

DS1 is 0 constant
    DS2 switches between 0 and 1

Update: I see that LED 3 (RL2) is also on - Does this suggest a bad relay?

George could you please email me the drive manual and maintenance course notes also. I have the same machine as Eric - Interact 1 Mk2 w/ TNC 2500. My email is [email protected]

Thanks,

Pali

Here are some pictures to show where the problems are.

Entire left panel (Shows KTK Drive, MTI-1 board)
    http://www.netsoft2k.com/ppeng/bridg...ft%20Panel.JPG

MTI-1 Board has many dark areas that suggest overheating. I checked the resistance for most of the resistors with a multimeter and everything looked OK. Not sure about the transformer though. The bottom fuse (5 AMP) on the MTI-1 board goes off as soon as I home the machine (Ent Button-> Orange Button -> Cycle Start). None of the LEDs are ever on.

Close-Up for the KTK Drive with LEDs ON
    http://www.netsoft2k.com/ppeng/bridg...0Drive%202.JPG

LED 5, 9, 8 and 3 (RL2) are ON

Once again, I would appreciate any information on this.

Regards,

Pali

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Eric,
    need your email to send you the KTK manual and the maintenance course notes for same.
    About 9MB total of PDF files.

George
    Hi ! Mr. Georg
    would you please send me the the KTK manual and maintenace course notes to [email protected]

many thanks

George and Farzin,

I finally manged to get the machine working. It turned out that the problem was due to incorrect phase rotation. I changed L1,L2, & L3 phases and adjusted the MTI-1 board as per Farzin's directions and the maintenance manual that George provided and the spindle fired up perfectly. Ran the machine at 400 and 1000 RPMs and the spindle spun smoothly and to my shock it was extremely quite.

Once again, thank you both for your help.

Regards,

Pali

Questions

All,

I finished tweaking the machine and everything looks good now, Thanks George and Farzin. One minor thing that confused me during the setup is that according to the notes I have a P90M motor (1989 Machine) and when I changed the RV2 on MTI-1 board for 1.73 AMP, the motor had a burning smell (Very minor but there was still some smell) so I reverted back to the original settings for RV1, RV2, & RV3. I am comfortable running the machine with these settings because for once, no fuses go off and the motor doesn't have any burning smell even after hours of operation. :cheers: Is there a way to test what my motor is and what the correct setting should be? I want to tweak everything I can because this machine will run between 50-60 hours every week.

I would also appreciate if you have any advice on what else I should test before machine goes in full operation. Also, does anyone know how to setup the coolant. My machine is equipped with a coolant pump and I can see the pipe run to the bottom of the machine. Does the coolant go in the base of the machine? What is the command to turn on the Pump?

Thanks again for all of your help.

Regards,

Pali

There is a plate on the side of the motor identifying what it is. But I am not saying it is easy to see. I believe it is an Italian motor.
    I remember there being two drains on the front of the base for the coolant. On the back of the machine base is a plate that allows access to the pump.
    Most machines use M07 for mist, M08 for flood, M09 off for both. But the TNC may be different. Somehow my memory believes that there is a switch on the front that turns a coolant on whenever the spindle is on. But I may be thinking of an interact 4.

George

Hi Guys, I know this is an old thread so apologies for bringing it up again. Im having the same issue with my Interact MK2 and am in desperate need of the KTK manual and the maintenance course notes if any of you would kindly be able to forward them to me ? My email address is [email protected]
    Thank you so much
    James