585,578 active members*
4,079 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Telling tormach 1100 where the cutter is

Telling tormach 1100 where the cutter is

Hello,
    I am using a tormach 1100 with sprutcam. I cannot figure out how to tell the machine where my cutter is. and what depth it needs to be. I am 2d contouring a part in half inch plastic and basically want to set it up where i place the tool just above the plastic in the upper right hand cornerand have it cut the plastic from there. Just like the first part file from tormach. Thanks for your help i watched many videos and i guess i just dont understand.
    Zach

Are you zeroing the axis out and referencing the mill before you start the file ?

When you CAM your part, you need to decide where the 0,0,0 location will be placed, in this case top right and I would guess, top of the stock you're cutting. Now that you have a reference point, Secure the stock on the machine, move the tool to that reference point you have marked on the stock using the jog feature. Once there, click the Zero X, Zero Y, and Zero Z buttons on the display. The buttons are located next to the x, y and z read outs. The CAM file and the machine now agree where 0,0,0 are and you should be able to machine the part.

For 2 1/2 D I typically put the 0,0,0 at the top surface of the stock and in the center of the part, because it is easy to locate a rough center by drawing lines to opposite corners in a rectangle. This gives me the best chance of not hitting hold-downs and of fitting the job inside the stock.

Zach, if your chosen starting point for the cutter is not X0Y0Z0 relative to the workpiece, you can also position the cutter where you want it, mouse-click on each DRO and enter the desired X, Y and Z coordinates defining its position.

Randy