584,837 active members*
5,251 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Water cooled 2.2 KW Spindle water fitting

Water cooled 2.2 KW Spindle water fitting

Has anyone figured out what the thread on the fittings are. I am looking at changing them out as I am having problems getting tubing to fit. 3/16"x14" does not clamp down properly and is very flow restrictive. 1/4x 3/8 wont fit in the ferrule nut.

I though they would be 1/16th NPT. The place I went today didn't have much in 1/16" but the one sample we looked at did not match.

A search on the web did not lead me to find anything.
    diameter at 3rd thread seems to be ~ 7.8mm and pitch could be 1.0mm

Thanks
    Dave

I too would like to replace the fittings on my spindle. They have a very small opening and I cant use a fountain pump to push the water over 30 ft with a 5.5ft rise through 1/4" line because of the connectors. I used to have a reservoir mounted on my gantry but I moved it now I don't get enough flow.
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Have you tried a Little Giant 3E-12N Series pump? My research indicates that will work. Had a nice chat with Little Giant tech support today. They seem to be in the $150 price range. I might pick one up. What tubing did you gt to fit on the fitting?
    Sizing was based on 40ft of 3/16th I think with 5 foot rise.
    Dave

Thanks for the advice but I will NOT buy another pump for this spindle setup. In school I built a 4'x4' router and used the same spindle I have at home. -A 2.2kw from LMB2008. This spindle had a larger opening and the 1/4" tubing worked great with a smaller pump. I have a more powerful pump at home and I barely get a few dribbles. Besides a couple of $5 connectors makes more sense than a $150 pump!
    http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver

Yes I agree I don't really want to have to buy a more expensive pump either. Just looking at options.
    I take it you are running 3/16" x 1/4" tubing?? I was real unhappy to find you can't seem to get 1/4"x5/16" tubing. That would help a lot.
    I may get some special fitting made. What is your threshold of pain for them?
    I don't have a CNC lathe (yet) but I have a buddy that might be able to squeeze them in. My kid is working so she cant make them for me at school. I guess I could fit the tape attachment on my lathe but that's a pain.
    Dave

Did you look on mcmaster.com for tubing? They have just about every size under the sun.

Those connectors must be some type of common thread. I can't imagine some Chinese factory spending money on custom tooling and parts. It's probably just not common in the US.

I might contact se of the eBay sellers and see if they can supply us with the part. It will have to wait until the school year is done in a couple of weeks though. I'm just too busy now.

My bet would be metric threads and tubing.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Ger,
    I agree its most likely a Metric thread. I have spent some time measuring it and it to my mind is a Tapered thread. 1.0mm pitch but diameter does not seem to be the 8mm it should be. I might be mis-measuring the diameter. Also if its a 8mm x1.0 like I think its seems to be only a thread used on grease fitting. I might see the vendor face to face next week and hopefully will make some progress. He has not replied to my email. I hope he is waiting for a reply form his factory. ;-)
    But without a fitting to check its a problem. Searching on the internet has not brought much joy in finding a source. I will have to poll a few of my friends in total metric country.

Mcmaster Carr is not an option in Canuckastan.
    Thanks
    Dave

A few minutes with the lathe and a 3/8" endmill have the 1/4x3/8 tubing properly secured. :-)
    Dave

Glenn,
    Remember that $150.00 pump I was telling you about.
    I found a surplus place it NJ that is selling them for $40.00. They claim new but taken out of equipment I think. I ordered a couple.
    Drop me a PM for details.

Dave

My spindle ordered off ebay for $350 with the Haunyang Variable Control Display VCD has 5/16 24 water jacket threads. Its the one with the chrome on top that cant be pried off

The seller is qiandingzhensatisfaction heres the link It will prolly expire soon 2 2KW Water Cooled Spindle Motor 2 2KW Inverter Drive VFD Grinding Engraving C | eBay

Weird 5/16 for a Chinese spindle. Harbor Freight has an air inflator kit which has a 5/16 brass inflator tube bout 4 inches long that has some metric thread M8 er summin, I couldn't find a die that would fit it correctly. What I plan to do is cut the threads off re thread it to 5/16-24. The brass tube fits Home Depot 5/16 clear plastic tubing perfectly. BTW the clear plastic tubing comes in 12 foot roll for $5.68

I have a Pick and Pull bout 5 miles away and Im gonna get a Automatic Transmission cooler for $8 and pipe it up. I have a old 12VDC computer Fan to blow air though it along with a eBay Pond pump for $12.

The pump is a submersible pump I bought years ago What I plan to do is crack the cage off of it and tap some treads into the input hole. Thread a 5/16 brass nipple.

Just thoughts fer now I'll let you know if it works and post some pictures.

Other people have just used a short 3/16" section at the motor, then 1/4" to the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by elfrench View Post
    Other people have just used a short 3/16" section at the motor, then 1/4" to the pump.
    Thanks. Yes The 5/16 is OD of the brass tube. Threaded would be 3/16. I searched but maybe not quite good enough. 1/4 to the pump OK will note that.

Thanks again.

I'm planning on using these from McMaster-Carr: 5554K12 and 5116K53