584,861 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > tapping head vs hand/cordless tapping machine....

tapping head vs hand/cordless tapping machine....

I need to thread a bunch (about 200) of 6-32 holes in 3/8" thick brass and stainless.

I'm thinking of getting a tapping head for my Sieg x2 mini-mill, or a small drill press OR a small hand tapping machine connected to a small cordless drill.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Jeff

tapping head will be as much as the Sieg...better have a few taps on hand if you decide to go without a tapping head and aren't doing it manually. If doing it manually make yourself a guide block.

I havent done it in awhile but I used to do these big stainless plates about .25" thick that had about 215 holes per plate. I did them on the nc but you still had to change the drill and tap after every plate.

What taps are you using?

I must have tried every tap out there and the one that worked (in stainless) the best was a standard uncoated 2 flute (aluminum style) tap. Go figure non of the engineers at these tap companies could make thier expensive high faluting taps work were a 2.00 dollar tap kicked butt!.

and oh ya! what Vipertx said!
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Look for a Tapmatic tapping head on ebay. That's where I bought mine. I got two small ones for $250 (the pair). There always seem to be some out there.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

I picked up a tapping head up off of ebay a month ago or so, Got it new with multiple arbors for $140. I havent tapped many holes yet with it, I was tapping 1/4-20s with it, if I would go too fast I would stall the spindle on the stock motor, keep that into consideration. I dont think theres enough torque for stainless work, especially that deep?

I am now 200 miles away from mine and cant test it out for you(nor do I have the mill with stock motor anymore)

Another thing is that you wont have enough travel for a part in a vice and a tap hanging out of the tapping head for anything. thats another big issue becides the power.
    In my cnc, I have .7" from the point of a 1/4-20 tap to the top of a .25" thick part thats half in the vice. My mill has slightly more travel than stock(top of the column)

Jon

Put the tapping head in a drill press. The tapping head has lots of "float", so it doesn't have to be aligned dead center.

Ken
    Kenneth Lerman
    55 Main Street
    Newtown, CT 06470

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I'll let you know how it turns out.

-Jeff