584,817 active members*
4,660 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Designing a new high school shop - help requested

Designing a new high school shop - help requested

Hi,
    I'm new here. I was recently hired to develop an engineering program at a 4-year Vo-Tech high school. It was previously a drafting program and the administration would like it changed to engineering (or pre-engineering)

I have a computer lab, but I also have a considerable (2000 sq. ft +/-) shop which is currently empty.

The administration and I would both like to see my program compete in competitions and design challenges. Being a Vo-Tech, there's a capable metal shop and wood shop down the hall that could be used to make any large fixtures or parts, but I'd like to be able to make smaller pieces in-house. And it's good training for the kids to see the stuff they've drawn get cut out right in front of them. I suspect it will mostly be aluminum and maybe some plastic, but I'd also like the capacity to machine steel. I like the Tormach machines, but I don't have much of a machining background so I'm seeking help here.

It's not a money-is-no-object proposition, but it's not too far off. In a previous life I saved a few bucks by buying a Grizzly band saw which was a mistake. I won't be buying junk this time. What I would like to get is something that aligns with what is used in industry. (Software and hardware) And something that can be repaired rather than replaced, and updated rather than junked after a few years.

I'm leaning toward a benchtop unit for flexibility and cost (again, the metal shop has the big stuff, if we'd need it)

Is a Tormach what I should be looking at? Is there something better that isn't twice the price? Will a student who learned on it have an advantage when he walks into his first job and sees a Haas mill in front of him?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you in advance for your help.

I dont really know from a professional stand point but the Tormachs seem very capable. Not a Haas by any means but surely not a Sherline either. It should be a plenty capable machine to produce good results and parts for other projects. Their prices seem very reasonable for their mill, tooling, machine mass, and options. Some good videos on YouTube of Tormachs in action.

This is a hobbiest oriented board so take it easy on our humble grizzly(junk) machines...(nuts)
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Mwood, sorry! I've never used a grizzly mill. Their woodworking machines are a great value. Some are high quality. My "extreme series" band saw was not.

I chose a hobbyist board thinking I'd get better advice here. Sort of like I know exactly which new Mercedes I'd buy, or which 40 foot sailboat I'd order. (not that I could afford either) but I've read every brochure and spec sheet I could find!

Just for laughs anyways:banana: I think you will get good advice here, its such a talented and resourceful group of people...
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

Dont forget some deposition machining technology and equipment such as a Dimension SST printer or similar. 3D printing and scanning will be the norm in no time at all. It really already is.

Have a 3d printer already, actually. No details yet. I haven't received my keys to the new rooms. Not until the retiree moves out I guess.

I would have a conversation with Haas, see what they can do for you. The Tormachs are nice machines, but they are still hobby machines. I would focus on a Solidworks / Haas solution as that's what they will work with in the future. Having real experience with what most companies use, will give the students an advantage, and will justify the added expense. My opinion.

I'm just happy to hear some schools are still offering what used to be called "shop" classes. They're getting few and far between.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

I would still throw in a mid priced CNC smaller sized router table.

For doing plastics and flat stock and 3d stuff you just can't beat it for the price.

Much of the learning is the CAD/CAM work and they can run their parts in plastic or wax without risking the big machines. They will crash it but repairs will be low and a lot of learning can be had. In fact I would get two (spare ) or more. When they get better they can move up to the "real" machines.

Students need manual machining experience before you through a CNC at them. I took 4 years of Industrial Tech as you are trying to build a classroom for. I highly suggest not focusing only on CNC But the manual side of this as well. Start them off drafting the parts and modeling them. Then have them MANUALLY machine the parts. We did not touch the CNC side of things until our 2nd-3rd year. In saying that you also have to look out how you will cut the raw stock to get it on the machine. If you want something better than the china machines then go with the American made Dake brand.