584,826 active members*
5,091 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco VMX24 ATC Overload Fault

Hurco VMX24 ATC Overload Fault

Our VMX 24 went to do a tool change today when I got an overload fault half way though the tool change. The center post of the exchange arm is down about 1''. Just enough to where I can't get the tools out. I pushed the reset in the back cabinet and cleared the alarm on the control panel several times but to no avail. The machine is just 2 month's out of warranty. Any ideas as to whats going on here??

did you check all your overload relay. do you have a chip conveyor? overload alarm is a general alarm. it could be chip conveyor, coolant pump, tool magazine or tool changer transmission.

Assuming you have the electric toolchanger, climb up top,find the front motor on the changer and release the brake. Turn the 12mm hex on top of the motor until you can get the tools out. Put the arm back to home, brake on and reset the trip.

Thanks bloke, This is an electric Tool changer. How is the brake released?

There's a little lever on the motor nearest the top front of the changer. Activate the lever and wind the hex on the top of the motor.
    Move the arm until you can get the tools out of it (press the lock pins down on top of the arm to allow the tools to be released then wind the arm home. Make sure it misses the drive key on the spindle.

I know the lever you're talking about. I will try what you said first thing Monday morning. Thanks!!!

Activated the lever and tried to turn the 12mm hex on the top of the motor but it will only move maybe 1/8 of a turn before it gets really tight (with kind of a springy feel) with no movement to the exchange arm. I'm afraid if I force it something else may break.

OK, not to worry, next step, undo the four screws under the arm with somebody holding it. Drop the arm off and then use the control to jog the arm home. When it's in the home position, go to T/C height, orient and then rotate the arm post to 60 degree. Put a tool is spindle and pocket then put the arm back on and engage it fully in both tools. Lock her up and complete the change in dignostics.

I have removed the exchange arm and the tools. What I need to know now is how do I manually jog the exchange arm to 0? Under ATC diagnostics there is just a button to move exchange arm to 0 or 60° and pressing this just tells me to jog the exchange arm.

If you have an Ultimax, go to auxiliary and type enter 100 enter. when the service page pops up, press macine setup and test followed by toolchanger diagnostics.
    Press more until you get the exchange arm jog reverse and press it followed by the start button. you may need to press it a couple of times but it will let you jog it home. Then follow the procedure for re-fitting the arm.
    Once done, exit away from the service pages. Probably best not to fiddle with anything else in there except the diagnostics as you may stop it running.

Smile

bloke,
    THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!, THANK YOU!, Our VMX 24 is back up and running! Turns out the exchange arm slipped on the shaft. The tool numbers in the carousel got a little out of whack but that's minor. I couldn't have done this without you! Again Thank You.

No problem, fella! Glad you got it going and I could help.

atc problem

i'v the same problem , and it become frequent , and each time different , now the arm is blocked in a position just before taking the tool .. wht is the koz of this problem . pliz help.

Had the same problem on vmx50. Ended up being the motor brake was bad. Replaced motor. If exchange arm does not stop completely at 0 or 60, the prox sensor is not read. Exchange arm on vmx50 would bounce when returning to 0 causing the timing to be off. Besides this issue, i have had way to many other issues with the 4 other Hurcos we have. Not happy at all with service or part availability.