585,690 active members*
4,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Hitachi WJ200 Settings Help
Page 1 of 2 12

Hitachi WJ200 Settings Help

Howdy,

So I just got a WJ200 inverter and have it up and running. I'm controlling it with Mach 3 and a Gecko G540 0~10v output going into port [O] on the VFD

So far, everything is working O.K. and I'm able to control the speed of the spindle but I have a couple of minor issues.

I don't have a control relay and would like to shut off the spindle just using the control voltage. Looking at the parameter list, it looks like A011 ~ A015 should allow me to create a dead band (e.g. anything under 1v = 0Hz) but for some reason, I'm not able to access these parameters!

When the display is showing A005 and I push the up arrow, it goes directly to A020, not allowing me to edit A011 ~ A015.

Anybody have any ideas what's going on? I imagine the parameters are locked out because of a setting somewhere else but I can't find any info on it.

TIA!!!!

A little more info I forgot to mention -

When I turn off the spindle using Mach 3, the spindle does indeed stop but the VFD is still outputting almost an amp (.9 I think) at a frequency of a couple Hz. I can hear a little buzzing in the motor too even though it's not moving. That's why I'd like it to output 0Hz, 0A

Update

Using the PC software and USB connection, I was able to change those parameters and have it set up to send 0Hz, 0A at anything under 1v and it seems to be working.

The one mild rub is that currently I need to use a front panel switch at the start of the session. Hopefully I won't forget!

For future reference, if anyone knows why those parameters were locked out of the front panel, would be interesting to have it documented.

u r too fast!

Lock b031 Software lock mode selection
    00([SFT] input blocks all edits)/01([SFT] input blocks edits except F001
    and Multispeed parameters/02(No access to edits)/03(No access to
    edits except F001 and Multi-speed parameters)/10(High-level
    access,including b031)

Hmmm very strange.... I used prodrive to change b031 to high level (10) and b037 to full display and it still doesn't show up on the front panel.

I'm also having that trouble the other guy had that anything I set using prodrive isn't stored and is lost at power down.

Any thoughts?

More info:

Changing B037 from the front panel gets you access to all of the parameters. Still having issues having it remember after power down though.

I guess I'll call tech support tomorrow.

Ready, SET, go!

after you change a parameter from the keypad, you push SET while the new value is blinking at you? that should save it to eeprom for use after power down...and after pressing SET display should stop blinking the new value and go back to the parameter number that was just saved - like B083 in the attached sample pix....

I would then press SET once again to see if the new value I entered took or not. If it did, it will be there and it will no longer be blinking. This tells you it saved to eeprom and you should be all - dare i say it - SET! sorry 'bout that, couldn't resist :bs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  

Thanks. I was stuck with wj200 parameters visibility and now I know how to make them visible.

I did the power test and am able to run the spindle from vfd. I followed the manual and set both A001 and A002 to 2 (control panel input), A003 to 60hz and A004 to 300hz (spindle base and max frequency).

I am getting 10V at BOB and I think my wiring is correct (thanks to Kelly from another thread).

I will make my parameters visible now based on info here. I think I need to set A001 to 1 for analog input. What other parameters do I need to set? Do I need to do any kind of reset after power test to control spindle/vfd from Mach3?

I am new to cnc and vfd and will appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks

The attached Jpeg has I think the main settings you need to get it working. I'm using a G540 with Mach 3 and use the 0~10v control signal and one of the output pins to run forward, I don't have reverse wired up at all.

On A13, I have it set at 10% to give a little bit of a buffer from when I didn't have a run enable wire and was setting it to start by hand. That could probably be set to zero now that I have an enable wired in.

It's very important to hook up a proper ground between the VFD and the G540 to get the control signals to work correctly. DAMHIKT.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wj200 settings.JPG  
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Thanks Andy

I am using DMM BOB and I also have 10V output. When you have time can you answer few more questions

1) a201, a202 etc. do i need to worry about them when i do not have second motor?
    2) not sure if i need reverse wire from dmm, will find out soon. i think control from pin 16 should send the command to vfd
    3)you are setting a003 to 300, guess this is your motors frequency, i thought a003 is for inupt a/c freq which should be 60. spindle freq is set in a004, am i wrong?

since i got stuck yesterday, i had to open the manual and saw h001 function and i also remember Al mentioning it in another thread (means i should pay attention to this one). did you get chance to play with it.

let me go to basement and see if my findings from you posts get me going.

thanks again Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by BanduraMaker View Post
    The attached Jpeg has I think the main settings you need to get it working. I'm using a G540 with Mach 3 and use the 0~10v control signal and one of the output pins to run forward, I don't have reverse wired up at all.

On A13, I have it set at 10% to give a little bit of a buffer from when I didn't have a run enable wire and was setting it to start by hand. That could probably be set to zero now that I have an enable wired in.

It's very important to hook up a proper ground between the VFD and the G540 to get the control signals to work correctly. DAMHIKT.

Quote Originally Posted by azam1959 View Post
    1) a201, a202 etc. do i need to worry about them when i do not have second motor?
    I think not.

2) not sure if i need reverse wire from dmm, will find out soon. i think control from pin 16 should send the command to vfd
    I think you only need reverse wired in if you plan on running the spindle in reverse. At the moment I'm not so I didn't wire it in.

3)you are setting a003 to 300, guess this is your motors frequency, i thought a003 is for inupt a/c freq which should be 60. spindle freq is set in a004, am i wrong?
    Base frequency is the motor base frequency, not the input frequency. I don't remember where I got the info, but I was told to enter the spindle's maximum rated frequency there. a004 sets the spindles maximum frequency in practice. i.e. a003 is the rated max, a004 is the max that YOU want it to go to. (and yes, 300 is the max freq of my spindle)

since i got stuck yesterday, i had to open the manual and saw h001 function and i also remember Al mentioning it in another thread (means i should pay attention to this one). did you get chance to play with it.
    I have not. I was intrigued by that post as well and I found somewhere on the hitachi site that you don't need to use auto tune with standard induction motors. Everything is working pretty well right now so I'm not too keen on messing with it!
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

The auto tune is a good way to get the basic ideal tuning, as long as you have entered the correct pole count and base freq etc.
    If you don't like it you can reset back to the default parameters by using the Reset to default.
    There is free PC software on the Hitachi site for programming and for monitoring while running through the USB port.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al,

I did set H001 parameter (to 002 I think). At this point I do not know enough to appreciate it but I will leave it for now. Just working with different error codes to set other parameters. I think there are few other things which can be done for motor tuning etc. but I will first concentrate on basic functionality.

I thought I will be able to control both cw and ccw rotation with m3/m4 but motor rotates on cw direction. Is this normal?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    The auto tune is a good way to get the basic ideal tuning, as long as you have entered the correct pole count and base freq etc.
    If you don't like it you can reset back to the default parameters by using the Reset to default.
    There is free PC software on the Hitachi site for programming and for monitoring while running through the USB port.
    Al.

Quote Originally Posted by azam1959 View Post
    I thought I will be able to control both cw and ccw rotation with m3/m4 but motor rotates on cw direction. Is this normal?
    If you've only got the forward wired in, it will only run forward. Using the smart terminals, you need one wire for forward and one for reverse.
    -Andy B.

Thanks Andy. At this point I am struggling with E05 error code (electric thermal setting b012. Sure enough parameter was set at 11 and my spindle is rated at 8.6amp. I changed the parameter and waited for half an hour for spindle to cool down without much success. I was also monitoring d02 (I think) and it was showing somewhere b/w 10-13amp after I changed b012 to 8.6. I have two options either wait more to get spindle cool down completely and try again or call the support. Other option may be somebody has similar problem in the past and they can just post how to solve it.

Thanks for all the help. I am in much better shape compared to morning.

Quote Originally Posted by BanduraMaker View Post
    If you've only got the forward wired in, it will only run forward. Using the smart terminals, you need one wire for forward and one for reverse.

Azam, you have quite a few programming errors now.... if you call factory for help they will tell you to go back to default settings and start over.... here are a few of the problems you have introduced and need to fix. I will go thru past posts:

A003 = 60 not 300 - YOU were correct. it is the base freq of your motor. ur 300 will starve ur motor so bad it probably will give - ready? E05 overload error.

A013 =10% is not good for mach3 control; put it back to 0% so mach 3 can control it right.

A2xx parameters ARE for second motor spec set. since u r not using a second motor parameter set, these have NO meaning to u or ur drive. change if u want practice changing parameters, but that will do nothing good or bad.

A004 IS the max freq (speed) u want ur motor to go. so if u want, set it to 300: 300/60= 5x base speed. BTW, this is EXTREMELY HIGH. If u know ur mechanics and ur motor can handle this (1800*5= 9000rpm!!) go for it, but I would bet a full case of GOOD beer ur motor and machine cannot handle it. If u do run it this fast, PLEASE do not stand 90 degrees from any rotating shafts, and consider buying a bullet proof vest, and by all means wear safety glasses!

H001 set to 2. something u really need to do if u decide to run in sensorless vector mode. u set this once to do the tuning then it needs to go back to 0 when done; i do not recall if it turns off afterwards automatically or not. u look. BTW, ARE u running in sensorless vector mode? If not, this setting has no effect. I STRONGLY SUGGEST U NOT RUN IN THIS MODE UNTIL YOU HAVE EVERYTHING ELSE RUNNING PROPERLY FIRST! At this point you have no idea if tuning is the issue or parameter settings. get a good system running in v.hz mode first, THEN go to sensorless. Since you have major issues with settings right now, I see no valid reason to talk about sensorless mode or H001 at this time.

A044=? what? check out its meaning. default is 0 that is v/hz mode, so unless u changed it, H001 won't effect anything anyway! not till u set it to 3.

u can control both cw and ccw with M03/M04. you can do it by programming a frw and a rev digital input and provide a 0-10v speed command, all 3 from mach3.

B012=11? 8.6? units on this parameter are 20-100% of drive rated current..... so if u mean drive is rated 11 amps, and ur motor is rated 8.6, this paratemeter should be set to 8.6/11 *100= 78%. IT IS A SAFETY LIMIT PARAMETER NOT A CONTROL PARAMETER. It has no effect on motor performance. Set it to ur motor amp rating reduction from drive rating to help protect ur motor. so this setting is NOT causing E05.

u get E05 because ur settings are so far off base. prob that A003. no load, ur 8.6a motor should run at about 3 amps as shown on D002 current display - at any constant speed from 0 to base speed. since u see 10-13a u got something really wrong.

A082= ur motor rated voltage; did u change this one? most people do NOT need to change it. IF u cannot set it proper for ur motor, see A045 for tweak.

do these things and ur wj200 should come back to normal life.

Mike,

Thanks a bunch. I love this forum, so much information and so many helpful folks.

I end up calling Hitachi tech support person and he asked me to change A003 from 60 to 300 and things start working fine. This was the only issue I had in my programming when I called him.

I guess my interpretation of manual was wrong. I actually confirmed with him twice before changing A003. Spindle worked pretty good after this change. My spindle has 300 as base and max frequency so A004 is also 300. I think default value of A082 was 200 and I changed it to 230 (want to be little safe).

As for H001, not sure what this setting did to me but when things were not working I tried to change it back and you are right it did set itself to zero. You are also right about b012, it did not do anything to motor but tech person asked me to keep this value to 8.5, which is my spindle amp.

Not sure if I changed A013. I thought I may have to change it based on a message I saw here but motor was working fine and I did have to change it.

I will take the print out of your message to basement and will make sure that I incorporate your input but I think my motor is working pretty good and I am able to start, stop and change the speed from Mach3. I did run the motor for 20-25 minutes and motor initially warmed up to slightly above the room temp but then stayed at the same temp for rest of the run. I did take motor to 8k rpm, did not have enough time to take it slowly to 18K but one of these days .... I also check the frequency and amp when motor was running and I think max amp was 4.5 and freq was close to 75-80 at 8k rpm.

Thanks again my friends

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mike_Kilroy View Post
    Azam, you have quite a few programming errors now.... if you call factory for help they will tell you to go back to default settings and start over.... here are a few of the problems you have introduced and need to fix. I will go thru past posts:

A003 = 60 not 300 - YOU were correct. it is the base freq of your motor. ur 300 will starve ur motor so bad it probably will give - ready? E05 overload error.

A013 =10% is not good for mach3 control; put it back to 0% so mach 3 can control it right.

A2xx parameters ARE for second motor spec set. since u r not using a second motor parameter set, these have NO meaning to u or ur drive. change if u want practice changing parameters, but that will do nothing good or bad.

A004 IS the max freq (speed) u want ur motor to go. so if u want, set it to 300: 300/60= 5x base speed. BTW, this is EXTREMELY HIGH. If u know ur mechanics and ur motor can handle this (1800*5= 9000rpm!!) go for it, but I would bet a full case of GOOD beer ur motor and machine cannot handle it. If u do run it this fast, PLEASE do not stand 90 degrees from any rotating shafts, and consider buying a bullet proof vest, and by all means wear safety glasses!

H001 set to 2. something u really need to do if u decide to run in sensorless vector mode. u set this once to do the tuning then it needs to go back to 0 when done; i do not recall if it turns off afterwards automatically or not. u look. BTW, ARE u running in sensorless vector mode? If not, this setting has no effect. I STRONGLY SUGGEST U NOT RUN IN THIS MODE UNTIL YOU HAVE EVERYTHING ELSE RUNNING PROPERLY FIRST! At this point you have no idea if tuning is the issue or parameter settings. get a good system running in v.hz mode first, THEN go to sensorless. Since you have major issues with settings right now, I see no valid reason to talk about sensorless mode or H001 at this time.

A044=? what? check out its meaning. default is 0 that is v/hz mode, so unless u changed it, H001 won't effect anything anyway! not till u set it to 3.

u can control both cw and ccw with M03/M04. you can do it by programming a frw and a rev digital input and provide a 0-10v speed command, all 3 from mach3.

B012=11? 8.6? units on this parameter are 20-100% of drive rated current..... so if u mean drive is rated 11 amps, and ur motor is rated 8.6, this paratemeter should be set to 8.6/11 *100= 78%. IT IS A SAFETY LIMIT PARAMETER NOT A CONTROL PARAMETER. It has no effect on motor performance. Set it to ur motor amp rating reduction from drive rating to help protect ur motor. so this setting is NOT causing E05.

u get E05 because ur settings are so far off base. prob that A003. no load, ur 8.6a motor should run at about 3 amps as shown on D002 current display - at any constant speed from 0 to base speed. since u see 10-13a u got something really wrong.

A082= ur motor rated voltage; did u change this one? most people do NOT need to change it. IF u cannot set it proper for ur motor, see A045 for tweak.

do these things and ur wj200 should come back to normal life.

wow. thanks for the lesson not to ASSUME - guess I needed that! I assumed you had a normal 60hz 1800rpm 5HP or so motor, not a 18krpm spindle motor. you got me!

my A003 setting would have been the higher freq and I would not have suggested u were crazy running to 9000rpm - different world my friend!

I would not bother with H001 or sensorless vector - that is meant for slow speeds not up at 200-300hz. you dont need it there and it prob wouldnt work anyway. leave it v/hz mode.

good luck.

Mike,

I did not give all the info in my original message. I know you were trying to help me. You are very knowledgeable in this area and I will keep coming for more help.

cheers

wow. thanks for the lesson not to ASSUME - guess I needed that! I assumed you had a normal 60hz 1800rpm 5HP or so motor, not a 18krpm spindle motor. you got me!

my A003 setting would have been the higher freq and I would not have suggested u were crazy running to 9000rpm - different world my friend!

I would not bother with H001 or sensorless vector - that is meant for slow speeds not up at 200-300hz. you dont need it there and it prob wouldnt work anyway. leave it v/hz mode.

good luck.

I think you might have mixed my post with azam's but...

As Azam wrote, we're talking about a 18000rpm spindle. 300 is right. Setting it for 60 was almost certainly a problem

On what are you basing this? This setting works perfectly fine with the correct RPM, it simply lops the lowest 1v off of the scale as a buffer zone. i.e. everything below 1v is treated as zero volts....unless I'm missing something.

I did this because I didn't have a run signal wired into my VFD at first and I didn't want noise to accidentally start my spindle. Now that I do have run wired into my system, I can safely go back to 0% for that setting.
    -Andy B.

Page 1 of 2 12