585,668 active members*
4,024 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > X3 CNC Fusion Y ballscrew length?

X3 CNC Fusion Y ballscrew length?

I have read notes that the cnc fusion kit is "slightly longer". I am wanting to increase the Y as much as possible (like CR) but really can't quite convince myself to cut the dovetail or drill a hole in the column.

I measure .75" from saddle to column and 1.5" (IIRC) from screw to end of saddle- I'm thinking my ball screw could be 2.125" longer than stock accounting for a 1/8" washer with two flats for tightening welded onto threaded rod for the nut stop.

witt a .75 spacer block on the front I will get that much travel on the rear and a little more on the front which I may limit physically if I need to with a spacer/stop around the screw.

am I on the right track here?

cnc fusion doesn't know how long the screw needs to be so I'm hoping someone knows exactly how much longer the cnc fusion set up is than stock. more exactly- how much further back does the back of the screw end under the saddle?

HAS ANYONE tried CRs floating top Z? any thoughts on it? if your not familur he makes a VERY good case for leading off the top bearing all together since only <1/3 of the screw is ever above the ball nut which stabilizes it and he even tried getting it to whip in a lathe and the results were impressive. Seems a LOT easier than drilling the hole in the top and making mounts for the top bushing.

whatcha think?

Check out MRModels ....I believe in his build he had Michael add another inch to the y-axis ballscrew.

Paul

IIRC he said "40mm" but never mentioned how much clearance there was :-/

I think I have read 15+ full build threads and at least another 1000 posts and I'm still con. fident there will be avoidable down time from stuff I missed and have to order. I really can't afford to have my mill down for more than a few weeks and I'm planning on getting a second PP and an MPG to get me up and running while I fugue out the cam software

I think a simplified question would be: can anyone with a stock cnc fusion Y screw measure the distance from the end if the screw to the back of the saddle for me, please?

I have the extended travel screw for the Y axis I will try to measure it tonight after work, as for the spacer on the front I just ordered an extra piece for the Y mount and machined the inside out of it to clear the ballnut
    I will also try to post pics of this as well

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

thats great JTCUSTOMS! thank you.

that should work provided I have your spacer thickness, deviation from stock cncfusion length and distance from rear of saddle- I should be able to determine the maximum usable deviation allowable without modifications.

THANKS AGAIN

bumping this

good day yesterday! got a nice little check that will cover my entire conversion and tolling as well as a foggbuster, larger air compressor, computer, monitor etc... waiting on this info to order my kit which I assume will be the longest wait as far as parts go.

I think I should start an "idiots guide to cncing X3" since if you guys help guide this idiot... really- anyone can do it

Hey PS,

I didnt have my camera last eve as my wife took it but I will try to get those pics and measurments out to you yonight

JTCUSTOMS
    Clive James

I really appreciate it.

seems most guys on here like playing with electronics and building their own control box.. I'm not looking forward to the time that will require as I need this up and running ASAP so I can learn to break end mills and mangle aluminum as I have to turn work away as long as this is in the works. (I'm fretting an MPG and second PP so I can at least start making parts again while I learn)

ANYONE have thoughts on the Keling control box? I know it would save me several nights of work which seems like a fair deal and will look better than anything I would pull off.

my goal is speed but money IS an object. I'm not looking for a hobby but need to use the x3 cnc as proof of concept I guess before I am willing to spend $15k I don't have on a big machine I don't know how to use

it says plug & play... is it really? just solder up the motors and make connectors, wire/mount home switches, and e stop, install cnc fusion kit and start calibrating?

Sorry for the late response
    The Ballscrew extends to the rear past the saddle about .588"
    and the spacer is .75" thick, I took some pics last night but it was late, and I had to get the kids to bed so I will try to post them this evening.

JTCUSTOMS
    Clive James