585,898 active members*
5,198 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rotary Table as 4th Axis (setup help)

Hi,

Can someone explain what needs to be set up in Mach3 to configure a Rotary table to be a 4th axis? I have A axis turned turned on, do I need a home switch on it? How do I configure motor tuning , how do I measure the distance traveled?

Thanks
    Frank

Frank
    I don't use Mach with my mill; but setup should be the same
    I simply used a stepper 300oz/in and reduced the drive by 3-1; so I get 900 oz/in hold
    Next; calculate the step value and input to the setup screen

Then test the set-up; here's how I did it ; setup a DTI on the axis with something as a stop and set the DTI to 0
    tell the controler to move 360 that will be 1 rev; after you pull the DTI point out of the way (use a 1" travel)
    Once the stop clears the point; simply return it to the fully in position
    Once the rotation stops; see if your back on 0; if not adjust the step value by small amounts; I got mine dead nuts

Thanks Steve I had posted a while ago and didnt get any reply's. I did figure it out and it is working fine. I am using a 600 in oz stepper direct drive. BTW what Cam and controll software are you using with the 4th axis system you have??

Iam also in the proscess of building a GRex.

Thanks
    Frank

You need to know the resolution per step of the motor(or microstep) in my case, I have a 72:1 rotary able, that means 5 degrees per revolution of the handwheel, I have a geckodrive at 10 microsteps so 2000 steps per revolution, so 5/2000 = .0025 degrees per step.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by fc911c
    Thanks Steve I had posted a while ago and didnt get any reply's. I did figure it out and it is working fine. I am using a 600 in oz stepper direct drive. BTW what Cam and controll software are you using with the 4th axis system you have??

Iam also in the proscess of building a GRex.

Thanks
    Frank
    I use Turbocnc
    The 4th is direct drive basically too; just the chuck/spindle is 3-1 with a Gates power grip belt XL size

some stuff i used the 4th for

Now that grex project sounds interesting; I downloaded the mach4 software to have a gander
    shoot me an email
    [email protected]

NM, I see.