585,753 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Romi M17

Romi M17

Hello everyone. We have a pretty much brand new Romi M17 lathe. I say it's brand new because it's almonst never been used in 5 years or so (it was bought new). Anyway I've been here 3 years and in that time I've never seen anybody (no one here knows how) use it. Anyway, a job comes down the pipe so I decided I was gonna try. I'm a CNC mill guy myself so I have little experience with a CNC lathe. From what I've been reading it should be pretty simple to use (I've used EZ-Traks in the past). So I found some old notes laying around (we don't have the operators guide, just the programming guide), started it up, made sure the selector was on CNC mode (not on guide) and the other selector is in Jog. The thing just beeps, and will not home itself. When I put in in Hand position and hit reset, it'll stop beeping. I've tried to manually put it in home position but nothing happens. How do you properly home it? How do you stop the beeping while in Jog mode? Please help!

What Control Is It ? Fanuc21iT ?? If it is I can Help you Power it up.. Bob

I think it is Fanuc 21iT??
    The control should be set to guide
    The E Stop pushed in
    Then turn off the Power(Main Power)
    Turn the Power back on
    Let the machine boot up and come on
    Press the Green CNC button
    Release The E Stop and press the Power On Button under the Estop it should beep twice & you should hear the relay kick on.
    Press the Home Button Then Cycle Start Button on the Control Panel The Machine will Home Itself.
    After the 2 lights go off on Control (home & cycle start) Then Switch the Selector to CNC and press the PGMS. Soft key....
    This should get you to the Main Screen....
    Make sure the Oiler is full too..

Thank you!

Thanks so much for the reply JM. Sorry for getting back so late, I had to take the day off yesterday due to my kid graduating. Anyway, I thought I had figured it out. The Apron Travel lever was on the "lock" position. So I got past that hurdle, then it was alarming again (that obnoxious beep). This time you were right, the oiler was empty. So I filled it up and it started up just fine, got it to home and all. I was able to figure out that there's a alarm messages window (duh!) in the process. BTW, it is a Fanuc21i-T.

I've been playing with it and the programming side of it is pretty straight forward, very much like an EZ-trak. I actually wrote a small program and it seems to plot well. However, is there and easy way to set the offsets, or even turn the spindle on? I got it to turn on by going into MDI mode (selector on CNC). Is there an either way with the selector switch on "Guide" mode? I know this sounds like a dopey question but I'm real green with a CNC lathe and especially this interface. Thanks in advance!

Nevermind, I was able to figure it out. Machine's pretty nice and not too hard to figure out. I actually ran a test piece and it came out really good. I'm just trying to get used to the little idiosyncrasies of the machine. Anybody out have any good quick crash course tips? Anything would be helpful at this point. Thanks again.