585,735 active members*
4,971 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > CHNC II...should I buy one?

CHNC II...should I buy one?

Hi, I am considering this machine as my first computerized machine. I will be making small parts from stainless and aluminum.

What should I look out for when inspecting a machine I am interested in purchasing?

Can these be run from a laptop type computer? Are they hard to program?

Are these machines durable?

Thanks for any advice.

What year machine? running what control?

I run mine off a laptop with Mach3 and a controller I built. Total cost to retrofit machine is at about 1500-1800 right now not including the laptop.

I do not yet have the toolchanger working but I am getting closer.

I LOVE my CHNC circa 1980. It is the 5C collet superprecision model. it takes fantastic cuts. has a dead nuts spindle and is solid as a rock.

These machines are great, but the older ones have obsolete controls (mine was originally tape)

Got mine for 500.00 with no control. excellent shape, but needed a retrofit. I would buy another if I could fine one at that price again!!!
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

Hell, your only 8 hours away, drive on up and have a looksee...
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

The CNHC series of lathes were good machines. Because of it's age you will want the spindle, ball screws and ways checked out for wear. If the ways are shot then forget it, it will cost a lot to have that fixed. Usually the old Hardinge spindles last forever. Ball screws and end bearings will wear out especially if they have been cutting cast iron with it. The ball screws and end bearings are still made, though like many precision bearings there can be a long wait to get them or a long search to find someone who has them in stock in the US. Last year when I check on end bearing for a cnhc II I could find only one of the main bearing suppliers in the US had any in stock, even Hardinge was quoting 2-3 month wait times on them. (and 2 to 3 times the cost of anyone else)

These were made with a number of different controls, all of them are obsolete now. The ones with the various Fanuc controls are a better choice as there are many companies that can repair the boards or sell you refurbished boards. Some were made with the old Siemens 810 control, these can be very hard to find parts for and not many people are set up to repair the boards.

Don't expect much support out of Hardinge, they "downsized" a year or so ago and let go of almost all of their support and service staff. At the same time Hardinge got rid of all their old dealers and now use only 4 dealers in the entire US, none of them have any experience with the older Hardinge machines.

I know of a shop that runs 4 of these machines. All are Fanuc controlled, 6's and 10's. All produce high quality small parts. As long as it isn't neglected or run within an inch of its life, you should be ok. Beware of jerry-rigged electronics and oddball controllers. Also, lookout for machines that have had non standard turrets and other mechanical atrocities done to them.