585,974 active members*
4,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > sunnen grinder lathe attachment or in block grinder?

Question sunnen grinder lathe attachment or in block grinder?

hi guys hoping someone more experienced could offer me a quick answer on this. Here is what I know, it is a sunnen model KN, the seller doesn't know anymore about it

at first thought just reading the name I first assumed it was one of the old in block grinders but after looking at these pictures a little more it looks different then any of the in block grinders I have seen and I was wondering if this one actual attaches to a lathe????????????

The guy sure ain't giving it away but and before I spend the money guessing I figured I ask if it is a actual attachment for a lathe maybe it would be worth more to me .......... you know how it is when you need something it is worth a little extra $$ then actual worth..........and when you WANT something it is wroth even a little more $$$ ...lol

I'm hoping one of you experienced people will jump in and take a look at these pictures and let me know

Don't have a clue on how it works, but, the name plate in the first photo says
    " Crankshaft grinder". I know back in the 1950/60 era they had machines that could grind a crank in the block to save an engine, is this one of those?

yes sorry I should have mentioned it was a crankshaft grinder.......... the ones I have seen for the in block grinders the main unit was always much smaller and this ones attachment arm seemed like it was more for a lathe attachment (which is what i am looking for) but i am not sure and can't find any more information online just hoping someone is familiar a with the unit

If it is automotive in nature I would post on the "Speed Talk.com" site. There is a lot of older guys there and most that hang around there are very involved with the machine work side of racing and repair. I may be remembering wrong but I guy I think is called Mad Bill that may know of alot of the older equipment, anyway someone over there will know.

Jess

thanks I'll check over there also .

I posted this on another machine forum as well an the general opinion is it must have been a in block grinder and not a lathe attachment so unfortunately it will not be any good to me, but tank ya'll for the replys