584,846 active members*
4,450 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking > WoodWorking Topics > celtic knot wedding/garden arch

celtic knot wedding/garden arch

Anyone know of artwork out there to be used to make a celtic knot arch like for a wedding or an entrance to a garden?

I'm getting lame results with google... (as usual)

While not helping me with my arch, this was an interesting find on celtic knots in general...

LINK

google the celtic knot font, you have to buy it, but it's worth it; used it a few times already...

Hi Louie...

Which one did you buy?.. There seem to be several out there.. some free, some for pay, some shareware....

Can you give me a little bit of an idea how this works for 'curved' shapes, like an arch or circle...

Thanks,
    Mark

Louie,

Is THIS the one you bought? It seems to be the most common one linked to..

I see they have scalable true vector clip art of circles, but I'm curious about creating arcs/arches with the fonts (for instance in V Carve Pro).. Seems like attempting to distribute or distort them in anyway on an arch would cause them to separate..

How is this done?

Yes, that is the site that Louie and I ordered the software from. I also ordered the triangle knot set. I have done nothing with either set so far.

CarveOne
    CarveOne
    http://www.carveonecncwoodcraft.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    Louie,

I see they have scalable true vector clip art of circles, but I'm curious about creating arcs/arches with the fonts (for instance in V Carve Pro).. Seems like attempting to distribute or distort them in anyway on an arch would cause them to separate..

How is this done?
    The round samples are done in microsoft word, using I believe text to arch (instructions are provoded with the fonts.) In word they look perfect and attached. I then select the "knot" and save it as a .pdf file, and it comes out good in vcarve pro, though there might be some slight tweaking...

So I would have to buy MS Word 'also?'

Isn't that pretty pricey?

Also, I'm guessing I would get the 'filled' font for use with CNC engraving?

Thanks,
    Mark

Thanks,
    Mark
    I got everything but in reality you only need the filled font. If you wanted the outline font you could produce an inline with vcarve pretty easily. If you wanted inverse you just draw a box around everything.

You can do it in vcarve, jsut takes a bit of work. The easiest way I found is to convert the text to curves first, then slide them over and finally weld them together. After, you should be able to distort it by bending it around a curve though I havent tried it yet.

Louie,

How is this done?
    Try this maybe DeskNC, I have it and it works really good. And it was free. Save it as a DXF file and bring it into vcarve, I have had some really good results with it.

Thanks,
    Mark
    No, you can download OpenOffice for free. It should work as well as MS Word for this kind of work.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

Thanks guys..

bookmarked both of those sites.. It's starting to look like I won't be able to afford the fonts till at least the later part of July.. Gotta get the S-PID and some bits first.. as well as a couple Vector 3D files so I can start making some stuff to put on sale.. and cut those cabinets for my customer... Priorities...

Thinking I might actually be able to use any and all extra money in August though to just buy bits and fonts and files and hardwood :banana:... no table hardware/software at all (I hope)...

When I got the triangle fonts I ordered just the vector fonts package. Dan is supposed to be doing that for the original Celtic font set also. Those should cut out the conversion part of it for us CNCers.

The triangle font set has AI, CDR, DXF, EPS, and WMF file types. I can load the DXF versions into TurboCAD v16 ok. They are splines, and are drawn in individual sections that can be rotated and joined in various ways to form other shapes. I assume that the sections need to be placed accurately and then joined once you have the design that you want.

CarveOne
    CarveOne

This is kinda what I had my eye on...

Machine Embroidery / CNC Discount Set $44

4 Items: Filled Style Celtic Knot Font and all 3 Pattern Packs - Save $12.00!

Get the Filled Style of the Font and all 3 Pattern Packs. The Filled Style is best for machine embroidery and CNC or computer aided woodworking and machining. You get over 370 royalty-free designs that are ready-to-go for your projects! The designs are all fully editable and resizable, so you can customize them with just a few keystrokes. Or you can easily create your own beautiful, interlaced designs. With the $12 discount, you get all three Pattern Packs for the price of two!

I use artcam to generate true Celtic knot weaves. I can help you out after the 4th. Just have a sketch ready with the knot design and give me some general size and I can shoot you out a .stl or toolpath.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image-1261606971.jpg   image-3149230454.jpg   image-1481250951.jpg   image-1306433286.jpg  

http://www.glenspeymillworks.com Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver