584,829 active members*
5,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Copying multiple objects / Tiling Help

Copying multiple objects / Tiling Help

Hello,
    I am trying to cut about 21 drivers from a single pcb stock... but I cannot figure out how to copy and paste objects. I would like to horizontally tile the one I made in the pic below to be 9 of them total across the top of the stock.

I have tried selecting all objects and choosing edit-copy, but get error "...some of the selected items cannot be copied".
    The lines are extrude cut to .2mm, the holes go through all.

Can anyone please help
    Thanks,
    J
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails driver.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    Hello,
    I am trying to cut about 21 drivers from a single pcb stock... but I cannot figure out how to copy and paste objects. I would like to horizontally tile the one I made in the pic below to be 9 of them total across the top of the stock.

I have tried selecting all objects and choosing edit-copy, but get error "...some of the selected items cannot be copied".
    The lines are extrude cut to .2mm, the holes go through all.

Can anyone please help
    Thanks,
    J
    Check out "linear pattern" in the Help menu

Mike

I'm gonna have to go through the tutorials or something.
    I can only get linear pattern to work an a single sketch, but I have many sketches in the design i would like to pattern... too many to use linear pattern on each individual sketch.

Is there a way to merge several sketches into a single sketch?
    Otherwise I will have to re-draw alot to make it one sketch.
    Say I make an 'L' shape with 2 rectangles defined in 2 different sketches and I want to extrude cut them both to the same depth, is there a function to merge those into one?

Quote Originally Posted by viroy View Post
    I'm gonna have to go through the tutorials or something.
    I can only get linear pattern to work an a single sketch, but I have many sketches in the design i would like to pattern... too many to use linear pattern on each individual sketch.

Is there a way to merge several sketches into a single sketch?
    Otherwise I will have to re-draw alot to make it one sketch.
    Say I make an 'L' shape with 2 rectangles defined in 2 different sketches and I want to extrude cut them both to the same depth, is there a function to merge those into one?
    "I'm gonna have to go through the tutorials or something." Good Idea!

You could do your cuts with your single sketches then do a "feature pattern" of your slots.
    Also you can edit your last sketch, then pick your other sketches and do a "convert entity", that will copy those entities into your existing sketch. You will still have to clean up the overlapping lines.
    Another option is a little forthought, you can have multiple closed sketch contours in one sketch, then you can cut multiple features with one cut.
    The "really" best option is(if you can afford it) is paid training at a Solidworks VAR site. It will put you on the right path without laying down a bed of sloooow, bad habits.

Good Luck
    Mike