585,602 active members*
3,356 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Height offsets

I am wondering if anyone knows a way to "match" tool height offsets on a 200p-m okuma controller. I have a 4 station (identical parts) set-up with 4 separate g15's. The issue I am having is with 2 tools that HAVE to remain in relation to each other. The night shift will adjust 1 tool height as needed and not the other creating a lip in the part. I would love to say posting the information, or more training would work, but it is constantly overlooked creating alot of rework on the parts. So the big question is how to create another height offset which will effect 2 tools. If anyone has an answer I would greatly appericate it.

Easy on an Okuma, There are a few ways to do this. Lets say the 2 tools are 2 and 88 The easiest solution is to adjust the length with the wear offset and have the control copy the values from tool 88 to tool 2.

VTWOH[88] = VTWOH[2]

also add an alarm

IF [VTWOH[88] NE VTWOH[2]] NALM1

NALM1
    VUACM[1]='CHANGE BOTH TOOLS'
    VDOUT[992]=111

BUT, if one tool wears and not the other, the operator would be correct in adjusting the offset for the worn tool. Updating the other tool would (or could?) result in an incorrect tool offset, wouldn't it?
    I have had this kind of issue in the past with operators on lathes, they would alter the finish turn tool and then also update the offset for the roughing tool. They would eventually find the roughing tool so far out of spec that it would leave nothing for the finish tool to cut. They would always be surprised when told why! Go figure!
    Is this the same, or similar problem?
    Regards
    Brian.

Both of the tools are finishing tools in a mill. The problem is when the operaters change the offset for one of the tools, and not the other it creates a tiny lip. The 1st suggestion should work great for this situation

Can you explain why one tool would have it's offset updated? Is it due to positional differences on each fixture or is it due to tool wear?
    I can understand the need to alter both tools if the reason is job positioning, but if a tool "wears" by 0.01 or 0.02mm and the other tool has not worn at all, why change the tool offset on both?
    Could you clarify that?
    Cheers
    Brian.

The info I was asked for by the floor tech was just how to do it. Its not an assigned job number to me. I was just questioned on how to do it.

Fair enough.

Are the tool lengths tweaked on the job to get them to match ??
    What time / temperature / etc was both tools measured ?

if the PM shift matched the tools to the same standard as the AM shift, there should be no difference between the cut levels, even if day/night, hot/cold, or whatever

2 solutions
    - gauge both tools again, if either tool need to be replaced ( a basic user skill )
    - cut a test strip on waste material with the non replaced tool and match the new tool length to that cut-strip. ( a little more advanced user skill )