585,761 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What model plasma torch to buy.

I am very keen to buy myself a Hypertherm plasma cutter.
    I am having trouble selecting which model to choose.

The majority of the work that I have estimated that I will cut will be 1/4inch mild steel. So I am tossing up between the 1000 and the 1650 model. But there is the 1250. I would be great to have the extra power just in case of I have to cut some thicker steel for a job. I am thinking that any thick stuff say 1/2 and larger I will just get an oxy set up going for that.

What plasma's do all you guys use? Comments and sugestions?

Peter

Hi Apples I use a Hypertherm 900 on my CNC table. It was the biggest available to me at the time. It produces 55 amp and to cut 1/2 in steel is marginal. It cuts I/2" pretty well in X and Y directions but when cutting curves and angles it produces noticable draft. I use my oxy/acet machine torch for everything above 1/2" to reduce frustration and cursing. All in all I have been very happy with Hypertherm and highly recommend them.
    never set a pace that you can't maintain
    Traveler

Plasma Cutting Torch

Hi Peter,

Hypertherm is a pretty sure bet and although I don't have exact sales figures they are probably the most popular brand for hobby and professional cutters.
    Depending on how much you use your cutter the most important factors are the consumable cost/lifetime, if you plan to cut special metals (titanium/magnesium alloys) make sure that your machine can use separate core/shielding gas supplies and has consumables for helium/hydrogen/argon gas.
    If you only plan to use the machine for CNC cutting I recommend a machine torch, but if you also want to do manual work make sure that you get a torch which accepts drag tips.
    I purchased a Thermal Dynamics machine myself and it has served me very well, the great thing about Thermal Dynamics is the 1torch system. With the 1torch system machines of all sizes use compatible consumables and you can buy 1torch replacement torches for any brand machine (hypertherm/esab/miller/lincoln/thermadyne and more).

I have some pictures and more text on my web site ->

http://www.rugludallur.com/index.php?id=117

Yours

Jarl

I have the hypertherm powermax 1000 g3 and I agree with what was said above. Good at straight line, not so good at small circles and curves on thick stuff.

Ridge Racing,

When you say it is good on the straight cuts but not good on corners on thick stuff. How thick are you talking?

How does the hypertherm 1000 go on 1/4inch steel with corners?

Any photo's?

Would the hypertherm 1250 or 1650 have better cuts around corners on thicker stuff? or is it better to use oxy for bigger stuff.

Peter

After about 1/2" (12mm) you are better off using oxy\fuel. For the most part, the bigger the torch, the lesser the taper, on smaller stuff.
    On all equipment there are 2 levers...
    Lever "A", and Lever F'in "B"

I was talking about 1/2" and above. It does a good job on 1/4" stuff. Here are some parts I cut from 3/16" steel:
    http://www.rigidracing.com/products/KA24_egr.htm

I mostly use it for sheetmetal work now.

I prefer a Thermal Dyanmics 150 xl good strong performance with this machine the automation model can be bought for about $6800.00 US it comes with a water cooled torch and automation hookups built in also has multi gas hook ups , and will cut 5/8" in prouduction mode 1 1/4" max .
    Attached Files Attached Files

Apples,
    Are you going to cut the parts either manual or mechanized?
    Good suggestion would be the CutMaster 51 from Therma Dynamics. The capacity of this model is 1/2" at maximum. Another advantage is the model of torch called 1Torch. This kind of torch produces squarer surfaces and smaller kerf. The consumables life is longer than other models. The duty cycle must take in consideration in relation the way you're going to cut.

I willl be cutting on a cnc table.

I really like the Hypertherm 1250. I think that it might have a better cut, less bevel than the Thermal Dynamics. ?????

Peter

Cool

I am not particualy fond of Hypertherms small units i have used them all over the years