585,761 active members*
4,163 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > If I were to set up a shop to train swiss at a tech school

If I were to set up a shop to train swiss at a tech school

What things would be most important to train?
    The target market would be people already knowing how CNC machines operate, just to enrich their lives with swiss knowledge to potentially take over a spot in an established shop with a swiss machine already, or train someone enough to get a shop new to swiss prepared enough to establish some ground work and get some chips cut.
    What would you want a new guy to come in knowing? What sort of size range would you want him accustomed to working in? In what materials? This is just a sort of survey. Any opinions I can broker would be welcome... well, almost any opinions.

Someone with small hands

Generally speaking, G codes are G codes depending on the machine and controller. I started on Nomura's which after a few years proved to be most useful at keeping my boat from drifting at sea. We now have Citizen L720's

The basic programming between these machines is nearly identical, aside from machine subtleties. IMO the most important thing for people to grasp when learning swiss is wait and sync codes assuming that they already know g-code. Otherwise very loud, expensive sounding noises happen.

Hobbyist question: What is "Swiss" ?

Ron.

"Swiss" or "Swiss Turning" is a type of lathe where the material slides to and fro with the headstock while the tooling is relatively stationary. It is ideal for turning slender parts that would otherwise deflect away from the tool, because the the part is always supported by the spindle and the tool is located right next to the spindle.

I've seen some incredible speeds on Swiss type machines.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Dunn View Post
    Hobbyist question: What is "Swiss" ?

Ron.

a good video of a Citzen C32...
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlGxBedKlpQ&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪Citizen C32 SwissTurn‬‏[/nomedia]
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

Swiss operator

I worked for Star CNC for 9 years as an applications engineer. I think the type of person you would be looking for to run swiss machines should be familiar with parts under 38mm. Most machines however, are 20mm or less. Typically swiss parts have very tight tolerances. The operator should be familiar with close tolerance measuring and looking at parts to see problems with a microscope. If the operator is familiar with standard CNC lathe and or mill programming, it's not too difficult to train them how to program a swiss screw machine.
    The types of materials that are run on swiss style scew machines can vary anywhere from plastics to exotic steels such as inconel or monel all the way to gold and platinum. It totaly depends on the company that owns the machines.
    there are several shops out there that run medical, dental, or aerospce parts. Bone screws and dental implants run really well on swiss style screw machines.if you have any other questions, let me know.

Is it your opinion then that teaching tight tolerance measurement and metals would be more important than programming with regards to teaching someone swiss? The idea is if you have a cnc operator (not programmer) who wants to further his carreer or take advantage of a swiss opertunity, have somewhere he can go to learn this part of the machining world.
    Theorhetically of course.

Swiss operator

Yes, absolutely. Close tolerance measurement is extremely important. Not only that but being able to visual defects either by naked eye or under a microscope can be very usefull.
    When and how to make an offset change, as well as how offsets work would be handy. Most of the same properties of machining exist in swiss machining as any other type of machining. The biggest difference is the size and tolerance of the parts.
    I cannot stress enough how important paying attention to detail is. You can never check parts enough or to closely in swiss machining. It's very easy to let an operation get away from you because the machine does not stop between parts. Parts usually run very quickly(typically 3 minutes or less). So it is important to know how tooling will react to the various materials. This will sometimes determine how often parts will need to be inspected.

And once they are used to LARGE swiss parts then they can go to diamond turn Nano stuff ! I had to throw away all my standard knowledge of inspection here.