585,981 active members*
4,212 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > feature projection problem...

feature projection problem...

Hi,
    I'm new to Inventor and after many video tutorials, started trying on my own.

I'm now stopped by a problem that a day of googling and looking into help and video tutorials didn't solve it for me...

description:
    1. I have a part with holes, and one, without
    2. I want to transfer the hole of the first one to the next one on the right place
    3. Finally to cnc the parts and hopefully get holes with high precision face to face.

That is, I want to project the hole from one part to the second part, after fix the first part on the second part using constraints, so that to have the right place for the hole.

I can't figure out how to transfer the hole feature in the assembly environment, from one part, to the other.

As you can see from the attached image, I placed the first part that has the hole, exactly the way needed to the second, but the technique of transferring the hole remains a secret to me, hope you help to open it :-)

Thank you in advance for your kind attention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails assemble_try1.jpg  

Sorry for the delay.... just saw your post.

1) Both parts are in an open assembly.
    2) double click on the back part ('block')to activate it in place.
    3) create a sketch on the front face of the block
    4) use 'Project Geometry' in the sketch and select the holes you want to project.
    5) exit sketch, and create a hole based on the center of the circle you just projected.
    6) return back to the assembly, and you will notice the block part now has an 'adaptive' icon next to it in the browser, meaning that it's dependant on the hole in the bracket part.

Hope this helps. Adaptivity has it's place. Beware it can cause problems in assemblies with MANY parts, as the dependencies can get complicated quickly. At that point, there are better ways to do this. (Skeletal modeling)

Quote Originally Posted by tlharris View Post
    Hope this helps. Adaptivity has it's place. Beware it can cause problems in assemblies with MANY parts, as the dependencies can get complicated quickly. At that point, there are better ways to do this. (Skeletal modeling)
    Yes that is the solution, exactly! Thank you very much for the step by step instruction! :-)