585,877 active members*
3,456 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hercus mill and lathe

I recently picked up a Hercus compumill and a compulathe. They are both missing the controllers but appear to have seen very little use. The hand scraping marks are still visible on the milling machine ways. The lathe is in a similar condition.

My question is can anyone tell me the specs of the taper in the milling machine? I was told it was an ISO 30 spindle is that correct? If so is there an alternate tool holder that can be used. From what I have found so far the ISO 30 tool holders seem to be quite rare and very expensive.

Thanks for any replies

Yes, the Mill uses ISO-30 tool holders.

I have not tried this myself..., but you MAY be able to use BT30 or CAT30 holders, these are designed for pull-studs instead of a threaded draw bar, the taper should be the same and drive dogs will likely fit - you'll need to modify the draw bar to suit the threads where the pull-stud would normally be installed and it will need to be approx 1" longer as these holders are shorter to accomodate the pull-stud.

Thanks Dan:

I appreciate the response. It has proven to be quite a challenge to find any specs on this machine. It seems incredibly well built for only having a half horsepower motor.

I think I'll pick up a BT-30 toolholder and see if it fits. They seem easier to get and certainly less expensive.

Now to decide whether or not to use the original servos.

Going to be a long project