585,715 active members*
3,745 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shopsabre laser to router

I just purchased a shopsabre 48/96 that was set up with a laser. I only bought the machine and not the laser, as I will be using it as a router to cut cabinet parts and signs.

Shop sabre will not help a second hand owner without cash. They want 2 thousand dollars for one year of support.

Can someone tell me if I can just go to the wincnc site and download the router version to work on my pci card? It is a 7200 2.4 version system.

I am also concerned if I have the correct serial number for the installation. The man I got it from gave me a number like this. XXX-XXX-XXX Does this look like a normal serial number used in an installation?

Ken

Ken,

The serial number will be a 4 digit number. Go to Help->About and you can find it there. It's also going to be on the daughtercard. That's the smaller card that is attached to the PCI 7200 card.

How is your machine set up? Is it still set up for the laser, or does it have a router attached? Post some pictures of the machine, the inside of the control box, and the inside of the PC.

As far as downloading the router setup from WinCNC's site, it's just a screen. It won't change the way your machine is set up. The machine has to be wired for the router and the wincnc.ini file and the macros all have to be set up to work with it.

Is this a servo machine? Is it an XYZ machine, or just XY? Some laser machines don't have a Z axis, I can't say about the SS machines.

If it's already mechanically set up with the router, is the router wired? Can you turn it on and make the router run?

What is the four digit serial number?

Does the machine operate at all with WinCNC?

These are some of the things you're going to have to know before anyone can help you... except Shop Sabre..., they built it.

Butterknife
    From Wikipedia - "..butter knife..any table knife designed with a dull edge and rounded point". I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer!

The machine runs in the xy and z axis and is servo driven.

The daugherboard has the sn on it. Thanks

The laser is set up to only run when the gantry moves, but it does have some solid state relays that will work with vac and dust collection buttons.

My wincnc education is just getting started.

I figured out how to switch the x and y axis like I want, but one axis is running the wrong direction for my liking.

I also need to know how to reverse that.

Ken

Ken,

Not sure how you are setting your axes up, but for the viewer to work properly, X needs to be the left/right axis and Y needs to be the back/front axis.

Normally, X low is toward the left. X high is toward the right. Y low is toward the front, Y high is toward the back.

Before making any changes to the files, always make a backup copy of the WinCNC folder. If you make a mistake, you can always go back to the original.

To reverse the direction on an axis, there's going to be an 'O' value on the 'axisspec=' line for that axis. It might be there on yours or it may not be. I can't remember what the default value is, but it's possible that it might not even be there. There are two possibile values, 0 (zero) and 1.

If your 'axisspec=' line has the 'O' parameter, just change the value to the other value. If it's already 0, just change it to 1. If it's 1, change it to 0. Save the file and restart WinCNC. The axis should run in the opposite direction now.

You can download a PDF manual from at wincnc.net.

By the way, if you reverse your direction on an axis, your limit swithes will be backward on that axis.

WinCNC is a great controller and Shop Sabre builds a strong, capable machine. But changing a bunch of stuff without knowing exactly what you're doing can get you into trouble.

Been there, done that.
    From Wikipedia - "..butter knife..any table knife designed with a dull edge and rounded point". I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer!

Thanks.

I have the x changed to the long axis and the y the short.

That may mess up the viewer, but both of my other machines were set up this way and I am used to it.

The left and right arrows now contry my y axis. (short one) Although the arrows on the sreen are backwards now.

One thing at a time.

I am not at the point of chaning the limit switches, but I do know it will be backwards. Actually it only has one switch on each axis the way it came. I plan to change that also.

I want to change the laser button to router, and have it work with the button next.

Ken

Just an update on the shopsabre. I learned a LOT about wincnc and the shopsabre in a short time frame. The shopsabre is a solid machine and wincnc is a great controller.
    It is smooth, strong, and making me money.
    Thanks again for those that helped along the way.
    Ken

Here is the new wincnc screen that I built for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.GIF  

Wow! Great work Ken. Glad to hear you have it running and cutting. The screen is cool. You're a fast learner. Congrats.