585,981 active members*
4,470 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Making new UCS V23 (4th Axis)

Question Making new UCS V23 (4th Axis)

I have a part I want to run on a Mazak 510-C with a rotary 4th axis. I have been making new UCS's for the different sides. But it has taken me way to long to get the cut direction right on the new UCS I make. Is there a way to display the X,Y,Z directions on a new UCS? I do the three snap points but I get it wrong most of the time. I end up rotating the UCS plane till I get the X,Y,Z in the right direction when it posts. Also when I do a verify with a 4th axis rotary part the stock does not move like in MasterCam. Is there a way to set up moving stock with Predator?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4th Axis UCS BobCad.JPG  

Predators backplot rotates the tool and not the stock.. I dont think there is a way to change that.. Also, I dont think there is a way to query an existing UCS's coords and rotation values?? Short of you could just draw some geometry then switch back to a top view and measure it..

With your model, why are you having trouble using pick 3 points?? Maybe extracting the edges you want to pick to make it easier? Or if you know those values, just use the coords placment, then modify it and rotate it.. (Sounds like thats what your doing?)

Quote Originally Posted by BurrMan View Post
    Predators backplot rotates the tool and not the stock.. I dont think there is a way to change that.. Also, I dont think there is a way to query an existing UCS's coords and rotation values?? Short of you could just draw some geometry then switch back to a top view and measure it..

With your model, why are you having trouble using pick 3 points?? Maybe extracting the edges you want to pick to make it easier? Or if you know those values, just use the coords placment, then modify it and rotate it.. (Sounds like thats what your doing?)
    Thanks. Ya I have been just rotating it and measuring it from a top view to get it to work. I am not sure why the three points aren't working. I think I pick them wrong. UCS are a little confusing and how to pick takes practice I guess. First pick zero point them the X direction and then Y right? I think the zero point or origin gets me. Maybe I will just make a layer with some lines and arrows for the X,Y,Z directions to use as visual guides. I have only programmed with BobCad for a few days now. I have a full blown 4th axis part on the desk next.

Rememebr that if you "shift clcik" the snap points will become visible...

So maybe you were thinking that just "clciking anywhere" makes the pick???

So if you made a default cube and went to one of the sides to add a 3 point pick UCS, notice that if you clcik just a bit away from the corners that the "corner picks" (Or do the shift clcik to see only 2 snaps on a single edge)

If you wanted the picks to be away from the snap points a bit, you will have to do something like place a point there, or extract the edge and then make some type of point or break to get the pick in that area.