585,752 active members*
4,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Vectric > Just Cutting Air!

Just Cutting Air!

Hi

I am trying to figure out what is going wrong with job:

I have taken a vectorart3d sample file and set it up in Machinist, then imported it into VCarve Pro 6.

From there I set up some text around the image and output the toolpaths for the text as well as the toolpaths brought in with the VectorArt3d file.

Now, in Mach3, all initials setting were made at the material surface and matches VCarve settings (X0,Y0,Z0). Then the toolpath for the rough out was opened in Mach3. The file was run on a Romaxx CNC.

Here's the problem: no cutting happened because the bit was going right along cutting air, at about 1/8 above the board surface/Z0.

Any ideas out there?

You can find the files (except for the VectorArd3d...to large) at
    Vectric Forum • View topic - Bit only "cutting air" above board!

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Linda

Linda,

Looking at your toolpath files and I would say that the Allowance for the Roughing toolpath is forcing the cutter to initially run above the material surface. If you leave the toolpath running it should cut into the material. You could almost certainly run this 3D project without a roughing toolpath.

If you run the Finishing toolpath this should raster across the the material slowly dropping into the material.

Cut3D offers more efficient / better roughing strategies than the Free Vector Art 3D Machinist software.

When having these types of problem I would suggest emailing your questions and associated files to - [email protected] - and we can usually get straight back to you with ideas and suggestions.

Tony

Hi Tony,

We will try again, letting the cutting drop down into the material; and try just the finishing pass. Is the allowance you are talking about the "machine allowance" that is on the "roughing" section of Machinist?

If yes, then I did wonder about that but I thought the inital cut would be at the material surface, not above...and the distance above the material that the cutting started at was quite definitely more than .05", so I kind of dismissed that.

We'll let you know how it goes!

Thank you very much for your assistance!
    Linda and Christy