585,761 active members*
4,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X3 V Belt Conversion

Been a while since I posted so I thought I would add the following and hope someone finds the info useful.

The only thing that I never liked was the 2K spindle speed. Seems most of what I want to do requires 3/8 endmills or smaller and the feed rate or lack of is the only thing that has really frustrated me! Well that and the noise of the gear box. Not sure they could have made it much louder. This upgrade is nothing really new and has been done before but the design is simple and seems to work.

The only negative side to this is that it will require a lathe. For some of you this may not be a negative but a convenient way to justify said purchase of the lathe to the spouse

Well it worked for me!

The two plates are 7.5"x4"x3/8" 6061 AL. The two risers are 1 1/8" steel. The spindle pulley is 2.5" diameter, and the motor pulley is 3". The belt is a standard 3L belt 21". This configuration gets me just under 5K spindle speed and the mill is almost dead quiet. I do hear a bit of a crunch sound at low speeds which makes me believe that I am probably due for a bearing upgrade in the near future. With the gearbox being what it was before I couldn't hear the noise at all.

For the completion of this I am thinking about cutting the top cover down to enclose the front pulley/spindle section.

Jeff
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beltdrive3.jpg   beltdrive1.jpg   pulley conversion 1.jpg   lathepm1236.jpg  

I have seen this somewhere before..... =]

Quote Originally Posted by eartaker View Post
    I have seen this somewhere before..... =]
    Is there a link to drawings or additional info?

Thanks

very nice work...

please share your drawings files :^)

would love to hear how your spindle speed control is working out as well.

very nice! how low are you able to get usable torque for drilling? I reversed my gears but in low it drops about a 100 rpm when drilling at 800 ish rpms

nice effing lathe BTW!

I'm seriously considering the PM 1127-LB with 1.5" bore, power cross feed in both directions and digital display with VF. want to wait and see if they will have a 5c for it or not

Hey guys you can find more pics of Jeff's build here...CNC - To Many Hobbies