585,883 active members*
5,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

hyundai hi t 8

so, im looking at a 95 turning center. the one set back is that its a siemens controller not a fanuc. is that really a set back?

My VMC is a Fanuc control, My lathe , a HIT-18S is a Siemens 840C. Does take some getting used to, canned cycles are radically different. The Siemens is DOS based with a standard hard drive and lots of memory compared to the Fanuc. My biggest gripe is the Siemens only displays machine distance, absolute and relative are nowhere to be found, so the numbers on the display are for all purposes meaningless. My Hyundai is also a 1995 vintage.

Set back not really. It does require a little time to get use to since Siemen is quite diffirence than Fanuc, but it's very powerful software, and can be pain in the neck to program if special move need.

The one thing I hate about the machine alot is bad design, First the tailstock is in the way and it will limit you work space, If you're not very careful with retrace it's very easy to crash. Second is the toolsetter pro, it you have the turning tool sticking out more .9" and not careful touch off, you will smash the toolsetter sensor.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

" My biggest gripe is the Siemens only displays machine distance, absolute and relative are nowhere to be found, so the numbers on the display are for all purposes meaningless."

Go to "Setting Data" screen
    Go to "General Data" screen
    Scroll down to "WORK COORDINATE DISPLAY" and set to "yes".
    Your position display will show programmed position rather than machine position.

Ken

Ken,
    Many thanks for the reply, but my "general Data" screen only gives me setting for
    Dry run feedrate
    Incremental value for INC variable
    Smoothing constant for threading

My NCK control is Siemens version 4.02 maybe thats why?