585,556 active members*
3,628 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > How do I avoid a part of the job?

Question How do I avoid a part of the job?

I am machining a fairly complicated 3D mould and it is quite high.

I have machined the lower sections before gluing the remaining blocks on the top as my tools wouldn't be long enough to reach down if I glued them together quickly.

The problem is that the machine does not have enough Z clearence to safely clear the tool from the job when it retacts around the place. I know mastercam avoids surfaces during machining, but if my tool is too long it will try to bring the machine up higher and give me an error, or crash into the tall part.

What I want to do is tell it to not do any rapid moves around this area, is that possible? If it has to move to the other side of it, it will move around, not over.

What type of path are talking 3d by chance?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

I'm using various strategies, 3D Surface Rough Pocket, 3D Surface Finish Contour and 3D Surface Finish Parallel and Surface Finish Pencil

Just to get your problem into perspective

you are wanting the tool to approach to & from the actual part, only from a certain direction ??
    ( - your toolchange point could be directly in-line with any initial X/Y or rapid retract point )

the use of the "Ref Point" could assist ( each operation's parameter page )
    as well as the "Point" paths

Can you turn the job around, so the low side is pointing to toolchange area ??

My machine home is at the righthand side of the picture. The yellow line is what the toolpath does, and the red line is what I want it to do.

I want it to also move around the tall bit in mid operation instead of wanting to go over it, because it can't physically go over it... The tool is too long, yet I need the length to reach down.

The toolpath in the photo isn't really the problem toolpath, that was just the one showing during the screenshot.

I know how to edit the code to move in Y first, then X when it goes back to home. But it is more during mid operation that I want, instead of having to sift through all the code to find these rapid moves.

Sorry for the funky colours, it's just my oganising on to-be-cut and been-cut ect.

P.S. I can't move the job around, as I won't be able to find the exact reference point I used before I machined it off.

What happens if you extend the "no-go" surface beyond the work envelope limits and select it as a check surface?

I might also suggest to use Toolpath - Point to pre-position tool as needed after breaking your surface(s) into sections to be able to avoid the "no-go" zone.