585,683 active members*
4,960 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > best way to cut stock for machining on mini lathe/mini mill
Page 1 of 2 12

best way to cut stock for machining on mini lathe/mini mill

I have recently bought a mini lathe and mini mill. I find myself regularly needing to cut stock down to size before machining.

I recently offered to make something for someone, bought some 1-1/2" stainless rod for the project. Someone else I know offered to cut it using an abrasive chop saw but it was hard going, got the stainless very hot and I'm always worried about work hardening the metal. We only cut one of the two pieces I needed because it was wearing down his blade.

Should I be looking for a bandsaw? Model recommendation?

I was hoping to pick something used up for $200 or so ($450 list). Not sure how realistic that is?

Quote Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post

Should I be looking for a bandsaw? Model recommendation?

I was hoping to pick something used up for $200 or so ($450 list). Not sure how realistic that is?
    I don't own one from HERE, but I use a horizontal band saw to cut stock to size fairly often. And HF has 20% coupons all the time.

I'm sure others on here probably have one and will chime in soon.

SFL

I have the same bandsaw and it works out great. Some people say they do not like the stand but I have had no issues with it. I cut steel with mine quite often.

Yep have the same bandsaw, probably one of the better purchases I've made.
    I might consider the next size up from Grizzly if mine ever died.

I have that model too, it is a low quality machine but does get the job done. Going is very slow at max capacity and really stalls the blade too easily on bigger diameters, could use a drip lubricator into the cut for these. For the price it is hard to argue.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

i have read that the 2 biggest draw backs to that bandsaw is the stand which is an easy fix, and the stock blade. The stand can be reinforces with some 2x4`s and if you want to get really creative, some plywood to box it in. The stock blade is garbage and should be replaced with a higher quality one.

I would love to have one of these.

Here's the bandsaw I bought 3 months ago. Pretty heavy duty for a cheap bandsaw. In some ways, it could be comparable to industrial saws I used while working. So far, it's cutting fantastic; and the first cut I made was perfectly square, right out of the crate.

What are the odds of that?

Northern Industrial Metal Cutting Band Saw — 7in. x 12in., 1.5 HP, 115/230V Motor | Band Saws | Northern Tool + Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by H.A.S. View Post
    Here's the bandsaw I bought 3 months ago. Pretty heavy duty for a cheap bandsaw.
    $749 is out of my budget but I understand it's cheap in the global scheme of things.

The Harbor Freight 93762 ($229 on sale right now) looks pretty similar to the Grizzly 0622. I'd been staying away from the HarborFreight because of the reviews. I'd read that the Chinese saws were pretty much all the same but that can't be the case because I believe the stand at least on the Jet [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Jet-414458-HVBS-56M-Horizontal-Vertical/dp/B00004T9KU"]414458 HVBS-56M[/ame] is a lot better than the HF.

I saw a Jet PB-85 tabletop on Craigslist today for $300 but it sold already. Couldn't find much info on it. I like the size as I'm short on space.

Are the HP ratings apples-apples? I think I'd rather look for a USED Jet 414458 but I noticed the HF claims 1hp to the Jet's 0.5hp.

The grizzly looks identical to the harbor freight saw I have including the stand minus the paint color.
    I have a harbor freight locally, so I bought there.
    I cut a lot of stock on mine before the original blade broke and I replaced it with a better one.
    Stand does suck, though I've never bothered to address mine.
    I was very surprised how square mine cut considering I've never adjusted it.

The small saw like your looking at is on sale for $219.00 at the link at Northern where the guy linked to the bigger saw. It says its 3/4 horse but I doute there is much diff inthe motors on these saws.
    Northern Industrial Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw — 4 1/2in., 3/4 HP, 120V Motor | Band Saws | Northern Tool + Equipment

Infact a great upgrade latter on would be to box the stand in, and add a DC veriable motor off off a thrown away treadmill. This would give totally veriable speed plus 1.5 to 2 hp if the threadmill motor was used.

Jess

I have one of the 4x6 band saw's. thay are all prittymuch the same nomatter who you buy from or what you pay. So go with the best price. There is a Yahoo group dedacated to them here.

4x6bandsaw : 4x6bandsaw

Alot of info on there about mods to make the cheap saw a good working saw.

Quote Originally Posted by paulsv View Post
    looks pretty nifty. I might get one .... assuming it comes back into stock

Quote Originally Posted by kd4gij View Post
    I have one of the 4x6 band saw's. thay are all prittymuch the same nomatter who you buy from or what you pay. So go with the best price. There is a Yahoo group dedacated to them here.
    The stand on the Jet I linked to is supposedly cast iron.

Th jet you linked to is a 5x6, comparable to this this grizzly saw.
    It's also almost twice the price of the harbor freight 4x6.

Quote Originally Posted by rpovey View Post
    Th jet you linked to is a 5x6, comparable to this this grizzly saw.
    It's also almost twice the price of the harbor freight 4x6.
    I see. My bad. Odd that both it and the Grizzly you link to are spec'd 1/2hp.

The stand on the Jet I linked to is supposedly cast iron.

In the link it says 14 gauge lags. That is what bed frames are, I pick up bed frames from curb side for free and built a much better stand for free and save $180.00 plus shipping. We are home shop machinest, RIGHT :wave:

After reading all of the specs on the jet it is the same saw as the 4x6 with a little sturder lags

I don't know. It's not the most enjoyable way to cut but I have been doing a lot with the 14" black HF chop saw and have made my way through 3" 1144 with it. Yes, the area will heat harden to some extent but never so much I can't trim that off and never very deep. Now on stainless I don't know. That's another beast. I'd love to get a bandsaw someday but for now the chop saw is getting it done for me and it I got it for under $90. It just does it with a lot of noise and mess. I keep expecting it to die with what I force it to do but it keeps on chugging along.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

I also have the HF bandsaw. Although the base is a bear to assemble, it does seem to do the job, albeit just barely. Fitting another shelf to the bottom of the stand would help rigidity.

Keep in mind that I've not yet had to go to an outside source for cutting larger stuff, that is a viable option (at least for me).

And I'm still using the original blade, but have a couple of new bimetal blades hanging on the wall near the bandsaw for when the existing blade does break.

However, the same day I bought the HF bandsaw, I also bought the smallest HF drill press available. Bad decision. Next time I'll buy a much larger drill press.

Tom

I'd read that the Chinese saws were pretty much all the same but that can't be the case because I believe the stand at least on the Jet 414458 HVBS-56M is a lot better than the HF.
    I bought a Jet 4x6 about 10 years ago for $300 for home use and we just got the current Jet model (now rated at 5x6) at work and they both cut square right out of the box. To me, it was worth the extra money not to fight with saw adjustments bad castings or machining.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12