584,861 active members*
4,671 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Screeching Steppers Harmonic/Noise Reduction

Question Screeching Steppers Harmonic/Noise Reduction

I have recently installed my steppers (1.8, 270oz nema 23s) into my cnc machine, with the much talked about TB6560 bob (24v+ power supply, running with licensed mach 3). Everything runs fine on all axes/board runs nicely, with the exception of the terrible screeching coming from the steppers when powered. Even on its lowest power setting, 1/16th steps, the motors make a high pitched screech (full steps becomes unbearable).

I am still new to cnc so please bear with me. I am suspecting my wires and board aren't grounded/shielded properly? I've tried step low active, but the steppers stall on signaling; no movement (I've not installed my e-stop, or limit switches yet). Debouncing I honestly don't know what value to enter (I've ranged from 1000 to 2000 to no effect).

I've read that some have used a lower 12v power supply to fix the problem. There isn't hum coming from the motors when idling, and they don't even get very warm when running (which is nice), so I know the motors are working fine. I am drawing a blank and hoping for some advice from someone who has dealt/ solved this. Thank You (It may also be that I have my board/ power supply on the floor, second level and it is receiving from the wires running around it, I can hear the pulse when hooking up audio equipment?)

try turning the velocity and accelleration way down until they start working them slowly increase them to find the sweet spot.

John

Quote Originally Posted by catabolic View Post
    I have recently installed my steppers (1.8, 270oz nema 23s) into my cnc machine, with the much talked about TB6560 bob (24v+ power supply, running with licensed mach 3). Everything runs fine on all axes/board runs nicely, with the exception of the terrible screeching coming from the steppers when powered. Even on its lowest power setting, 1/16th steps, the motors make a high pitched screech (full steps becomes unbearable).

I am still new to cnc so please bear with me. I am suspecting my wires and board aren't grounded/shielded properly? I've tried step low active, but the steppers stall on signaling; no movement (I've not installed my e-stop, or limit switches yet). Debouncing I honestly don't know what value to enter (I've ranged from 1000 to 2000 to no effect).

I've read that some have used a lower 12v power supply to fix the problem. There isn't hum coming from the motors when idling, and they don't even get very warm when running (which is nice), so I know the motors are working fine. I am drawing a blank and hoping for some advice from someone who has dealt/ solved this. Thank You (It may also be that I have my board/ power supply on the floor, second level and it is receiving from the wires running around it, I can hear the pulse when hooking up audio equipment?)

Thanks I will do so... I am using values 150 for velocity and 75 for acceleration @ 1/16th step. Should I go back up to full steps and dial it all the way down (nothing greater than 40 and start from there)? Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by catabolic View Post
    Thanks I will do so... I am using values 150 for velocity and 75 for acceleration @ 1/16th step. Should I go back up to full steps and dial it all the way down (nothing greater than 40 and start from there)? Thanks for the reply.
    try using 30 for velocity and 10 for acceleration for a start, you can play with these setting to find whats optimal for your setup
    I'd prolly go with 1/4 stepping if it was me
    John

My board's power settings are odd as the diagram doesn't show a 1/4 parameter... just full, 1/2,1/8, 1/16 using 25% buffer setting respectively. I've tried dialing it down, but still they are screeching? Thanks, I will keep looking into it, hopefully someone else will have a solution concerning this...anyone?

Some people suggest making modifications to the TB6560 board by replacing the clock oscillator capacitors (one per axis) with a surface-mount capacitor with a value of 100 pf, and they claim that it reduces motor noise.

I have not made that modification yet (I don't have my board hooked up yet, either), but it is one that I plan to do.

The modification is discussed in several posts in the following thread (it's a fairly long thread):

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...y_chinese.html

Thanks doorknob, always a huge help to the new guys...yeah I've read that many have been making all sorts of modifications to the tb6560 including the one you've linked to, it is a more versatile board that I thought. Definitely keep me updated on how it goes. A step by step guided with materials and what not would be deeply appreciated, I'm bound to get lost in 11 pages of posts...Thanks

I'm working on such a thing...

But I'm way behind on that, so I wouldn't advise waiting for it...

I can understand, I have finally finished putting together my cnc machine, and wiring everything after months (maybe years) of deliberation a little at a time (still more to calibrate). I will be on the look out in the meantime...hopefully I can find an easy fix to it though. Take it easy...

A better driver, such as a gecko or a linistepper will also fix that issue. ,o) This is what it should sound like: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5X5L-T2fR4"]YouTube - ‪mill.avi‬‏[/nomedia]

Thanks James, it is definitely night and day as far as noise, I've tuned them down properly so it is not as bad now. I've heard great things about gecko drivers and hope to invest in the future, but for now it's a few cents for earplugs while things get off the ground.

Try moving the motor to another drive and see if the sound follow the motor or stay with the board.