585,735 active members*
4,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tormach/Mach3 Probe Bug?

I just discovered, what I think, is a bug in Mach3. I'm hoping someone else can try and confirm this.

When probing for Z zero, after it finds zero, and Z retreats about a 1/8". If you hold Control and press page down (or page up), instead of going down (or up) one step, Z will keep moving downward. Only way to abort is hit the E-Stop. I've broken 2 stylus already with this bug.

If you move the axis without holding the Control, it cancels this bug and start working normally again.

Originally I thought I had a stuck key on my keyboard... but that didn't make sense since Control Page Down should only move in one step per press. Reason I was stepping downward is to confirm the repeatably of the probe.

I like to know if this is a Mach3 bug or maybe it's just my machine/mach3? Hope there is a fix for it... these stylus are expensive!

Just curious why you're holding down control ? If you're trying to rapid jog the axis I hold shift + an arrow key... I've never had a problem like this, just hope this isn't in a new update .... Yes those tips are very expensive !!!

I'm not trying to Rapid Jog.... in fact... Rapid Jog works just fine. I'm trying to step down by .001 per click by holding down Control and Page Down.

If you move any of the access by Jog or Rapid Jog, it resets the bug and Step Jog will work just fine afterwards.

Does this make sense? Maybe I should take a video.

Ken

What does Tormach say? If you are correct, and it is a bug, they might replace (at the least) one of those probes for free. If it is operator error, you'll get educated and won't break probes that way anymore.

Please, keep us informed. That way we can avoid breaking probes the same way.

With Matt's help (actually on a issue #2 below), found the problem. I did not set Tool to 99 when probing. I thought when I'm in the probing pages... mach3 would automatically set the Tool to 99... I guess not.

So... to clarify. When probing, IF Tool is not set to T99, you will get 2 major problems.

1. IF T not on T99, on Z Probe page, after a successful Z=0 probing, IF you step jog (up or down via Control Page Up or Page Down), the Z axis will continue to move downward until E-Stop is pressed. Z axis downward movement WILL NOT STOP even when probe hits and signals Mach3 of surface contact. You WILL CRASH your probe unless E-Stop is pressed.

2. IF T not on T99, on X,Y probe page, Z will move downward as well as one of the X or Y axis when probing for X or Y (basically it will move 2 axis, Z plus one of the X or Y, when it should only be moving X or Y). However, this is less of a crash problem since on probe contact, mach3 will stop all axis movement.

I thought switch to T99 should be automatic especially in the X,Y probe page since there are no way to change Tool # on the X,Y page. Oh well... gotta be extra careful on this one. Already broke too many stylus!

Ken

Ok that makes sense. I made a laminated sticky near my monitor to all ways add T99 at 15 ipm when probing. I wish they'd release a new update for probing square or rec bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Ok that makes sense. I made a laminated sticky near my monitor to all ways add T99 at 15 ipm when probing. I wish they'd release a new update for probing square or rec bosses.

Best $59 I have spent was on MachStdMill (Calypso Ventures, Inc.). It does a lot of things very well, but the probing operations are awesome. It will handle bosses, ledges, find circle centers (boss or pocket), find xy and z in one op, etc..... It will do a two touch (fast, then slow) for accuracy, has a calibration routine for probe deflection, etc...

Thanks dbrija I'll have to check this out. Using this on a Tormach right ?

Make sure windows sticky keys is off. Once windows steals the keyboard mach 3 won't see it until the key is released and pressed again.
    Stickey keys is just bad for interactive realtime applications.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by twocik View Post
    Thanks dbrija I'll have to check this out. Using this on a Tormach right ?
    Yes, with a Wildhorse probe.

dbrija,

The MachStdMill looks great, does it work with the Tormach version of Mach3 or only with standard Mach?

I checked out the videos on their site, there are a lot more probing options than I currently have.
    Thanks
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    dbrija,

The MachStdMill looks great, does it work with the Tormach version of Mach3 or only with standard Mach?

I checked out the videos on their site, there are a lot more probing options than I currently have.
    Thanks
    Terry
    I'm running a full version of Mach, but I also had it running on the Tormach version. I don't recall a difference, though I admit I wasn't looking for one.

Thanks dbrija,

I think I'm going to order and give it a try.
    Terry

Looks like MachStdMill requires Mach 3.43.22 or later. The latest Tormach Mach version is 3.12b? Did you upgrade the Tormach supplied Mach or just run MachStdMill on 3.12b? Upgrading Mach scares the crap out of me.

Mark

Mark,

My 1100 has R3.042.029 so it is behind what the MachStdMill folks say is required. I know on their website they offer older versions of the program for dwnld, and I emailed them to ask if an older version would work with my version of Mach 3, just did that a few minutes ago, so I'm waiting for an answer.

I'm still new enough at this that I don't want to spring for a standard Mach 3 license for this mill yet, so if that doesn't pan out, I'll just wait for Tormach to roll their version.
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by MFchief View Post
    Mark,

My 1100 has R3.042.029 so it is behind what the MachStdMill folks say is required. I know on their website they offer older versions of the program for dwnld, and I emailed them to ask if an older version would work with my version of Mach 3, just did that a few minutes ago, so I'm waiting for an answer.

I'm still new enough at this that I don't want to spring for a standard Mach 3 license for this mill yet, so if that doesn't pan out, I'll just wait for Tormach to roll their version.
    Terry
    Your Tormach license is a Mach3 license and will work just fine

Jeff

Jeff,

Do you mean that my Tormach Mach 3 license will work with standard Mach 3 that I can download?
    Terry

Yes

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

I'm definetly going to be doing that!
    Terry