Hi, all;

I'm about to start cleaning up, testing, and then updating a Lagunmatic CNC 250, a 3 axis CNC knee mill I bought almost a year ago at an auction.

It's currently got a Delta Dynapath 10 controller, a 5 HP spindle motor, and the original electronics in a side cabinet. I don't have a pic yet of my own mill (I just finished moving it into my shop space) but here's a generic pic of the same model, to give you an idea:

I've almost gotten my phase converter assembled, and once that's done I'll be able to power the mill up and test it.

Longer term if the servos and drives are good, I'm going to replace the rest of the electronics (everything but the drives and power supply parts) and run the machine with emc2 and a VFD on the spindle. I want to be able to run some rather large programs on it as well as add a 4th axis later.

I do have a few questions at this point:

1) Is there anything I should be aware of as far as "gotchas" for starting this thing up the first time? I'd hate to miss something that caused damage. At this point I'm planning on making sure there's lube getting to the ways and spindle, then trying manual moves of the table, then spinning up the spindle under power.

2) It looks like I have an auto-lube system for the ways and spindle (2 Bijur lube systems) both have oil that looks good. Should I do anything to recommission these? Add more oil? Test?

3) Mostly at this point the mill needs clean up and a bit of de-rusting.. there's no serious rust on most of it, just one spot on the table where there might be a little pitting. I was going to clean the rust with naval jelly, sand with 320 grit, wipe with xylene, then a thin coat of grease or way oil. Should I avoid this method for the surface rust on the Z dovetail? The other parts of the ways just have grease and dirt on them, but the Z has some rust. I have hard chromed ways, I think.

Thanks for any help you can offer, I'll get pics of my own setup up soon.

Erik