584,830 active members*
5,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5
Page 1 of 26 12311

Steve Huck's Demon V8 version 1.5

OK heres where I am at so far on the Demon V8 1.5. I am sure you're wondering what the 1.5 means. simply put, its scaled up 1.5 times. it will be 5.6 cubic inch or 92cc if you prefer metric. I have made some changes. some were required because of the scaling. others were personal preference. But the overall engine is based on Steve's original design. gotta give credit to Steve for making the plans available. He did an excellent job of documenting his progress and making the plans.

the bore has been upped to .975 the stroke is at .9375. the valves have been enlarged to .4375. locating dowels have been added to the heads both for mating to the block and for ease of fixturing the heads for machining. I must say it made the head building process pretty painless. the ports on the heads are not done yet. I needed to get the valve cages made and installed first, which I did last night.

Nice, more pics, we love pics :-)
    Donald

Wow that sure is fast, how long have you had the plans?
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

I think I was the first to buy a set of plans from Steve. But I spent a considerable amount of time making a 3D cad model of it first.

I want like this ...... fantastc engine ........I want the plans for CNC

:wee:where I can buy these plans? I buy also pieces available:wee:

Very impressive finish on all machined surfaces!

if someone wants plans talk to Steve Huck here on the board. hes the guy that created them and hes the one who should be getting paid for his efforts.

Dynosaur. thank you. I do have the advantage of owning a commercial CNC lathe, mill and wire EDM machine at home. and I am a machinist by trade.

Thanks for the link

Tom

heres a link to other pics of the engine in a gallery on google sites.
    http://sites.google.com/site/forchtf...achine/gallery

heres a piston and a couple valves. made 32 valves and retainers today. boy those are time consuming little buggers. but they're done now. now I need to decide whats next on the list. possibly the cylinder liners.

forgot to mention I made the wrist pins for the pistons. they are actually dowel pins that I milled to length. doing it this way has the advantage that they are hardened, chromed and ground. the valves are made from 4140 pre hard material.

Quote Originally Posted by cforcht View Post
    the valves are made from 4140 pre hard material.

How hard and where do you buy it from? McMaster sells pre-hard 4140 at 35 RC if I remember correctly.

Did you do anything special to get a mirrir finish on the valve face? Amazing work!

Yes you can get it from mcmaster. in fact thats where I got it mostly because I had other things to get from there as well. although you can also try speedy metals based in Wisconsin. I use them frequently when I order material. most of the work I do is for a pharmaceutical customer and requires 304 or 316 stainless and the quantity is 99% of the time less than 5 pcs. so I rarely buy a length of anything. speedy is great on pricing for saw cut pieces. although they do have an "online" store front you can buy through. the pricing will always be significantly cheaper with them if you call or email the order in.

as for the polish on the valve faces. I have a bench grinder with a 3M deburring wheel on one end and a buffing wheel on the other. I lightly deburred the valves edges from parting them off and then ran it across the buffing wheel after I shut off the power to slow the wheel down. the deburr wheel greatly reduces the amount of hand deburring on pretty much anything. cannot live without it.

Demon V8 Steve Huck's

So woundering how to contact Steve to get these Plans ? Thanks Chris

Demon V8

Thanks for the links. Chris

made a little progress this weekend

OK Craig, I thought Steve was fast, now it is time for you to fess up, how many guys you got working on this, no single human can get this much done in this short of time

Page 1 of 26 12311