585,752 active members*
4,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Motors, Drivers & Breakout Board Wiring
Page 2 of 2 12
    Thanks Doorknob for you consistently reliable response and for the troubleshooting suggestions. I will perform the testing you mentioned in the next couple of days and post back. I do not have an oscilloscope but I do have a multimeter.

Follow up Question

Doorknob, I am hoping to have some time tonight to be able to run through your troubleshooting suggestions as you mentioned in your previous post on this thread.

Before I did so, I just wanted to get your opinion on the troubleshooting which I have already done. As I mentioned before, I am only getting rotation in one direction from only one of my five drivers. The wiring modules to these drivers are easily detachable. During my testing I detached the wiring modules from the working driver and attached them to each of the other drivers (one by one of course) while everything else remained the same. Each of the other drivers failed to move the motor. I then reattached the wire modules to the working driver and the motor started working again.

Is this testing alone conclusive enough to determine that all of the other drivers are bad, at least in the one direction that the working driver is able to move the motors in?

Thanks.

I don't think that there is enough information to arrive at that conclusion.

If the signals going to the drivers are incorrect or mismatched in some fashion (for example, too low a voltage, or unable to source or sink the required current), then the symptoms that you describe could possibly occur due to the natural variation in component values and tolerances from one driver to another.

In other words, it is conceivable that the one driver that shows some signs of life could be doing so because it is able to (barely) handle out-of-spec input signals, while the other drivers are functioning exactly as designed (but are not responding because the input signals do not meet the design requirements).

Of course, it could also be the case that you have one working driver and four bad ones. My point, though, is that I don't think there's enough info to draw either conclusion.

Understood, your response makes perfect sense. However, can we conclude that all of the motors are functioning properly since each one of them behaves the same way with the driver that is working?

That is a reasonable assumption.

However once you get your breakout board and drivers working properly, you will want to retest the motors to be sure.

SUCCESS!!!

Doorknob, thank you for all of you help! I was finally able to get everything working properly. The problem is that I was wiring everything using the "Yang" method according to the driver documentation I attached in a previous post. The "Yang" method bridges all of the positive connections for the Enable, Pulse and Direction connections. I had to use the "Yin" method which wires everything up using the negative connections.

Now that I have everything wired properly the motors don't get even close to as hot as they were before.

Thanks again!

That's excellent... Glad to hear that you have things working properly!

Hello.
    Sorry for off top.

I have some problems with stepper motors.
    I just bought motors for axes Х and Y - 85BYGH450C-012 - 85*151 sm - (1600 oz-in), for Z - 85BYGH450D-002 - 85*94 sm (850 oz-in).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	139386
    Being guided by calculations - for speed of 4,5 m/min, for ball screw with step 5mm it is necessary to provide 900 rpm with the moment 0,94 N*m (loading 1000 N);
    for speed of 6,0 m/min, for ball screw with step 10мм it is necessary to provide 600 rpm with the moment 3,74 N*m (loading 2000 N).
    Being guided under diagram from a company website (there for 30 V), these speeds is possible to get (the photo is more low designated by lines).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1600.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	139388 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	870.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	139387
    Being guided by calculations concerning inductance for the first model it is necessary 150 V, and for the second model 60V, but I plan to powering them from 48 V (or to tighten up till 52-54 V).
    The drivers for 25-80V, 8,2 Amp.

Please tell me if i was mistaken in my calculations.

Re: SUCCESS!!!

Hello could you explain a little more in detail?
    I have a very similar case

when I connect everythäng correctly, I got no signal at the driver, no green light . but when I change from the reuired connection procedure to a simly wrongly connected pairing motor turns at least to one direction.

BOB Driver
    EN - EN
    DIR - +5V (Grn)
    +5V (Grn) - $DIR$
    STEP - STEP

thanks for the reply

Page 2 of 2 12