585,949 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Old Slo Syn drivers

Posted this originally on the general metalworking forum, which is no doubt the wrong place.

I'm a hobby machinist and several months back I bought a small J&S 1212 cylindrical grinder which has had the workhead motor replaced with a stepper motor. As I now have the rest of the machine about ready to run, I need to get the workhead running as well. I have some old Superior Electric drivers which I believe are large enough, but I doubt they will run the stepper smoothly enough to work well. No matter, I can upgrade with new drivers, but I would like to try these out. Here's some photos:

I have some documentation on the 230PT driver, but I'm not quite sure what the other box is. I suspect it's a driver as well. The programmer is there, not that I have any idea how to use it. I also got a couple 4.6 amp 24v power supplies, plus 3 of the little drivers in the last picture.

First, do I have the components needed to run the stepper? It just needs to run as at a couple hundred RPM - the stepper replaced a double belt reduction to a DC motor of 1/6hp.

2nd - any comments on what the last 2 photos are? Seems to be a stepper driver of around 1/2 amp with some programming capability. Too small for my cylindrical grinder, but should be a good learning device. Probably should have been put in a separate thread, but I'd be happy for info on any of the stuff here. They came from a small factory closeout, "Automatation Sytems Corp" which made the "Accumill 1201". Perhaps they are parts for their mill, or perhaps just parts they were making or selling. The center board mounts on the left hand board, and their was a 9v wall wart in the box with them. No documents, I have 3 sets of them to play with.

Thanks for looking and appreciate any comments,

Wayne

Re: Old Slo Syn drivers

Slo-Syn made some stand-alone units that could be programmed off line through a port using proprietary S/W.
    The units usually operated simple point to point or such functions including some I/O.
    It appears you have some similar units.
    You may be hard pressed to get programming info etc as these type of units could be around 30-40yrs old.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Re: Old Slo Syn drivers

Thanks Al,

Yes, these are from the late 80s. I did find some info on the net which I'm trying to figure out. Looks to me like I have a driver with a max 2A output, it has a built in power supply. Only able to do steps and half steps. The other box (of which I have two) has a D9 plug that the programmer plugs into. It does power up the programmer. I believe it's an indexer to provide the signals to the driver, but probably for a newer driver than what I have. They don't plug in together anyways - one has a D25 plug, and the other a D15 plug. I sent an email to a guy who has a web page on these drivers, and used to work for the company. Hopefully he will have some info.

Wayne