585,956 active members*
4,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question CNC Router Help please. Motor Controller???

Hi guys I have finally decided to finish my router project (2 years in the making). It is a small design cutting area of about 500mm, just for my rc hobby work. I am trying to get ideas for motor controller, what do you guys use. The ebay ones are tempting but its hard to know for a complete beginner.

CNC NEMA23 Stepper Motor Driver 2M542 4.2A Controller | eBay

OR
    3 Axis Drive + NEMA 23 Stepper Motor 263 Oz-in CNC Kit | eBay

OR
    HobbyCNC PRO Chopper Driver Board Kit | HobbyCNC

I looked at GEKO G540 but people are complaining about them also.

A small Youtube video of my Router Build, leadscrews have been mounted since the video was done.
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_VI5ejs02U"]‪CNC Router Part 1‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]
    Can someone please shed some light on the subject,please help.

Regards Pete

Thanks you wouldnt be from CNC Driver ARM Ulink 5-axis BDM Keil Mill - CNCGeeker.com Univelop Tech. LLC, CNC that sells the boards would you, your name is very simmilar. Can someone tell me what they are using, preferrably in Australia.

Regards Pete

Who is complaining about the g540? I have one and I am happy with it. The price is also better (see Homann designs) then when I last looked. Plenty of info and support for them as well.

regards

Verm

I've got G540 and Xylotex, no problems.
    there's alot of support for G540. I reckon the good would probably outway any bad, by at least 1,000 to 1.
    regards
    bernster

HobbyCNC....

G'day Pete,

I got the HobbyCNC 4 axis Pro Chopper for my JOES build. It hasn't missed a beat so far. Does require some medium level soldering skills though. Great board for the price I think, and you get the 4th axis either for back-up (in case you let smoke out of one of the other ones.....) or a rotary axis later on if you're keen!

My build thread has a little bit of construction detail on it, but you can find heaps of info on this zone, and/or their website.

I will admit, if I had the money I probably would have brought Geckos though....... they look prettier......
    - Craig.
    my JOES2006 build thread - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106995

Thanks Craig will check your thread out.

Regards Pete

Quote Originally Posted by craigjh View Post
    G'day Pete,

I got the HobbyCNC 4 axis Pro Chopper for my JOES build. It hasn't missed a beat so far. Does require some medium level soldering skills though. Great board for the price I think, and you get the 4th axis either for back-up (in case you let smoke out of one of the other ones.....) or a rotary axis later on if you're keen!

My build thread has a little bit of construction detail on it, but you can find heaps of info on this zone, and/or their website.

I will admit, if I had the money I probably would have brought Geckos though....... they look prettier......