585,932 active members*
3,684 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cutting a 10 tooth pinion gear with involute cutters

Cutting a 10 tooth pinion gear with involute cutters

I've seen the involute gear cutting sets that cut a range of gears. The #8 gear is supposed to be used to cut 12-13 teeth gears.

How do I cut a 10 tooth gear?

Frank

In order to cut low numbers of teeth you will need to cut them on a gear hobber, gear shaper or wire EDM.

Undercutting on a gear tooth is where you see the tooth gets thinner below the pitch line in order to clear the tooth tip of the mating gear

A 14 1/2 deg. pressure angle (PA) starts to under-cut at 32 teeth and gets excessive at less than 22 teeth. 20 deg. PA begins to undercut at 18 teeth and gets excessive less than 14 teeth.

Dick Z

add: www.xtek.com/pdf/wp-gear-terminology.pdf
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by ftkalcevic View Post
    I've seen the involute gear cutting sets that cut a range of gears. The #8 gear is supposed to be used to cut 12-13 teeth gears.

How do I cut a 10 tooth gear?

Frank
    Depending on the pitch size sometimes they can be interpolated on a cnc with a small endmill. I have had good success doing this with some 8 tooth 6 pitch 20 deg pressure angle gears.
    sick minds demand sick toys!

crasher455, where in Wisconsin are you located? I'm just west of Milwaukee. (Hartland).

Ref. to end milling tooth profile. How did you program the involute form? Did you find some profile generating software for gears? I know there was some in a Mitsubishi wire EDM controller I messed with in the mid '80's

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Thanks for the replies. The gear I need to make is a 10 tooth, 0.6 module (about 48 pitch), so it's too small to do with an end mill.

I haven't been able to find a source of steel pinions or pinion wire of this size, so I'll have a go at making my own cutter as described in "Gears and Gear Cutting" - even if it doesn't work, I'll get to learn some new skills making my own cutters.

Thanks,
    Frank

W.M. BERG sells a 48 dp 10 tooth pinion. We just finished building a CNC gear hobber for them.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    crasher455, where in Wisconsin are you located? I'm just west of Milwaukee. (Hartland).

Ref. to end milling tooth profile. How did you program the involute form? Did you find some profile generating software for gears? I know there was some in a Mitsubishi wire EDM controller I messed with in the mid '80's

Dick Z
    I live in North Lake with a Hartland mailing address. My shop however is on the north east side of Milwaukee.

I had a tooth profile generator plugin for AutoCad. It was freeware at the time. I would google gear profile generator and see what pops up.
    sick minds demand sick toys!

Quality Rod and Pinnion sells 10 leave 48DP pinion rod in brass and 12L14. They are at Pinion Rod.

Since 12L14 can't be hardened, I recently had 6 leave and 8 leave 32DP cutters made by Russell, Holbrook & Henderson Inc. They were just over $250.00 each but if you will be cutting enough, it is worth it. They havae a web site at Tru-Volute - " the source for gear tooling solutions".

Best Regards.

Carl