585,973 active members*
4,157 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cant get enough speed on the steppers

I am building my first CNC plasma cutter but i am having some problems with the speed of the steppers. i cant get it higher then 380 RPM.

The components i am using is a "HY-JK02-M 5-axis" breakout board. here is the manual that came with it: manual
    the drivers: Picture were you can see i have set it to 400 pulses/rev and 2.84A.
    PUL-, DIR- and ENBL- are connected to ground. ENBL+ to pin1. pin3 to DIR+ and pin16 to PUL+.
    The steppers are also from Wantai, 57BYGH115-003B, 3 Amps.
    The PSU is 24v 17a from wantai.

here are some screenshots from Mach3:
    Motor setup
    I also got the X axis connected now and both are set to 1800 mm/min velocity
    Port setup
    Motor outputs
    General config
    Diagnostics
    Drivertest 1
    Drivertest 2
    Drivertest 3

I just replaced the computer that controls the drivers so it has a onboard LPT but an AGP GPU. i uninstalled every single program that was not critical for mach3 to function. i used one before with an onboard GPU but i got alot more spikes on the drivertest and the motors ran the best when i had 3 us additional pulse width, and i could only get up to 250 rpm.

The scren shots show your running Mach2, not Mach3. Its been a while sense I have worked with Mach but i was thinking Mach2 was limited to 25mhz pulse rate. It shows in your driver test that it is in 25mhz mode.

I know you can turn it up to like 45,000mhz and higher in Mach3. I am not sure about Mach2. I havnt set down and done the math to know for sure if this is whats holdin gyou back but it would be something to look into.

Jess

no it's mach3 but the drivertest says mach2

What is the maximum voltage rating of your driver?

According to this, the 57BYGH115-003 (no B suffix) motor has a winding inductance of 9 mH, which is fairly high, therefore it would need a much higher voltage than 24 volts (if the driver will permit that) in order to achieve its optimal speed:

Rockcliff CNC Machine Forum - View Single Post - Nema23 not turnning as expected

the drivers are getting 49 volts and 50 is max.

OK, I was confused by the earlier statement:

The PSU is 24v 17a from wantai.

The motors could still benefit from higher voltage, however that would require replacement of your drivers.

Do you know the inductance of those motors? Generally, 425oz nema 23 steppers are very high inductance, and need well over 100V to get maximum performance. The 24V power supply could be the reason for the slow speeds. Also, resonance may be an issue. If they are dual shaft motors, you may want to try adding dampers.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

yeah i got 2 PSUs connected in series. but do you really think that there is much left power to get from the motors, considering that the torque-curve is kind of steep? at the moment i cant get ut up to more then 1500 RPM then its to weak to spin its own rotor and the motor stalls. if i have a ballsrew connected to it without anything on the nut, i cant even get it up to 600 rpm. considering 5mm pitch = 3000 mm/min = reallt slow for a plasma machine. with the gantry connected, i can maybe get 300 without the risk of stalling the motors.