585,728 active members*
4,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > A few questions on the PM-30MV.

A few questions on the PM-30MV.

I emailed Precision Matthews a while ago and received no response, so perhaps the community here has some information...

What are the dimensions of the stand it comes with?

What is the additional cost of residential delivery with lift-gate service?

What are the dimensions, style, part#, brand, etc. of the spindle bearings?

Does the PM-30MV use the same spindle assembly as the PM-20/25?

What is the longitudinal travel of the L-version with 33" table?

What are the TPI and diameters of the X, Y, and Z lead screws?

Also, if anyone has images of this mill; perhaps illustrating the clearance of the screws to saddle and table, and inside the column and head, it would be most helpful. There seems to be an abundance of info/images of the PM-20/25 and G0704 (BF-20s), but very little on this size mill. It does seem to be significantly different to the Optimum BF-30 (?).

Any comments on fit, finish, and quality would also be appreciated!

Cheers!

I have a Weiss 30LV which should be exactly like the PM-30

My book says 16 3/4" for the X and 8.5 for the Y but the X seams a little short.

The 30 has a slightly longer quill travel of 3"

My screws are 10 TPI and look to be 15/16" diameter.

You have about 1 -1/16" under the table for the ball nut.

Their was someone who took apart a 30 head and the drive pulley was a little longer so it makes going to a belt drive easier if you plan on doing that.

Their is a few builds of the 30 on the zone of you look.

It is a nice sized machine for a benchtop and mine has a vary good fit and finish.

I checked the travel of the table on my Weiss 30 LV and it is 23.25" so the measurement you have must be for the short table.

Thanks for the info!

It looks like the 27.5" and 33" table versions have the same travel based on the Weiss website, that's good to know there's ACTUALLY more travel on the long table. (One should hope.)

One more for you...
    What is the actual size of the T-slots on the table? (Bolt diameter and T-nut width. Weiss reports 12mm for the bolt, does 1/2" fit?)

If I'm able to get a hold of someone at Precision Matthews I'll order this week, but apparently the web-store part of their site is down... Is there anywhere else to get one of these Weiss WMD-30 style mills in North America?

Cheers.

Update

Just talked to Precision Matthews, the PM-30MV and PM-30MLV are sold out. With October 2011 the earliest estimate of their availability....

Now taking suggestions for alternatives... hahaha.

cheers

RF-45? I don't know of any other's in the US that are importing the BF-30 size machines. Otherwise I think you would have to arrange the import of one of the Optimum or Weiss machines yourself which is probably rather expensive and time consuming. I think Machine Tools Warehouse in Canada has Optimum machines. Open the wallet and close your eyes though.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Quote Originally Posted by Qayok View Post
    Just talked to Precision Matthews, the PM-30MV and PM-30MLV are sold out. With October 2011 the earliest estimate of their availability....

cheers
    these style machines are on backorder from every supplier that sells them. that is how popular they are.

The RF-45 is a fine mill but you get a 1,800 RPM spindle. If you don't need the extra 300 LBS I think you will be happy with the 30.

Get in line...

If you have the money and will pay for the superior quality, look into the Wabeco F1410. It has a similar working capacity to the WMD30 type machines. I have one of these at work and a WMD30LV at home. The Wabeco is at least 6 times the price (in the UK) and it is a gorgeous machine, whether or not it is worth it is a personal thing. MDA precision imports them into the US, and they are good to deal with too.
    LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk

cheers
    They way things are going with the PM25's, it would be more like October 2012. Good luck!

SFL

I was originally looking at the PM25/30 machines, Ended up getting a PM-45M with power down feed, Fit and finish aren't as good as the Weiss machines but it is a great machine. Love the power down feed. Also if you need to talk to Matt, call him, he rarely answers email. He is always helpful on the phone. Lift gate service, I think added $ 35.00

For archival completeness, an update:

I ordered a PM-30MLV on 1 August 2011, paid USD $1835 w/residential lift gate service. I was quoted October/November for delivery. Now I wait...

I'm planning on doing the DRO-Pros Electronica magnetic scales DRO kit and CNC-ing after getting a feel for the characteristics of the machine manually.

Anyone have suggestions/experience with this DRO kit? or mounting a DRO on one of these mills?

Cheers

Exclamation Any Updates?

Has anyone heard anything on the availability of the PM-30 from Precision Matthews (Quality Machine Tool) ?

I've called a few times since August, and they keep pushing the delivery date back, last I heard was April/May...

Cheers

Has anyone heard anything on the availability of the PM-30 from Precision Matthews (Quality Machine Tool) ?

I've called a few times since August, and they keep pushing the delivery date back, last I heard was April/May...

Cheers
    I still stick by my previous estimate = October 2012... Good luck though!

I was disappointed by QMT on my PM25V with them delaying my delivery multiple times and when it did arrive it was in awful condition. I don't wish that on anyone and I really hope they fixed their issues from the previous SNAFU. But I wouldn't hold my breath.

SFL