585,715 active members*
3,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma MB4000H anyone using one?

Okuma MB4000H anyone using one?

I'm looking at an OKUMA MB4000H horizontal mill. Our sales guy says this is a new model. Anyone using one?

I have used one.
    They are rediculously fast. Also used an MB5000H with a matrix tool changer. that thing was awesome.
    From what I understand, it is very similar to the earlier MA models in design, but has improvements in speed, rigidity and accuracy due to thermal changes. I am pretty partial to Okuma, but I really enjoyed that machine.

the MB-5000H is an amazing machine. it's the first horizontal i've used, so i can't really compare it to others. used verticals for 17 years and this thing easily cuts run time in half. and i doubt i have even scratched the surface of what this thing is capable of. the one i use has 2 pallets and 110 place tool rack. i'm guessing the 4000 is just a smaller version. if you have the parts to feed these things, they are big money makers.

I set an MB4000H up for a demo we had on our sales floor. Very good machine, but as with everything, it depends on what you are planning on using it for. If you are strictly a titanium shop, it may not be the machine for you, but if your typical materials are aluminum and steel, it will do just fine. I've run titanium in this machine, and it is capable, but for longevity's sake, an MA machine would be a better fit. The MB and MA are similar machines, but should be used differently to really get the benefits of either. The MB machine is a rocket for rapid rates. The MB4000 must be bolted to the floor. the reason is that it exherts 1G of force on all axis moves, and that force is enough to move the machine across the floor if it isn't. I've done it. It's scary to see a 20k lb machine moving a half inch across the floor, just from acc and dec of the X axis. The specific machine I set up also had a Matrix changer and we had to slow the rapid rate down to 30% so we didn't seperate the machine and tool changer. My opinion is that it's a great piece of equipment on a tried and true platform that would be a great addition to a shop. But, i'm obvioiusly partial to Okumas.

I've had my MB4000H for almost a year now. It's been a great machine so far!

I didn't anchor the machine down (need to re-arrange the shop first) and the machine would shake violently when the column moved at 100% rapid. I was able to solve the problem by turning the HI-G low vibration mode on. It enables the acceleration for the rapids to be adjusted on each axis. IIRC I have mine set at 25% on the X axis, and 50% on the Y and Z. It runs smooth now at 100% rapid. When I move the machine to it's permanent spot I'm going to anchor the machine with the supplied anchor kit, but for now it's working fine.

I also tried this on my 2005 Okuma MCV4020 with the 100E control. The manual didn't say anything about HiG or low vibration mode. I was able to turn on the bit and the settings for the accel for each axis were available. Worked like a charm on this machine too.

Quote Originally Posted by tea hole View Post
    I set an MB4000H up for a demo we had on our sales floor. Very good machine, but as with everything, it depends on what you are planning on using it for. If you are strictly a titanium shop, it may not be the machine for you, but if your typical materials are aluminum and steel, it will do just fine. I've run titanium in this machine, and it is capable, but for longevity's sake, an MA machine would be a better fit. The MB and MA are similar machines, but should be used differently to really get the benefits of either. The MB machine is a rocket for rapid rates. The MB4000 must be bolted to the floor. the reason is that it exherts 1G of force on all axis moves, and that force is enough to move the machine across the floor if it isn't. I've done it. It's scary to see a 20k lb machine moving a half inch across the floor, just from acc and dec of the X axis. The specific machine I set up also had a Matrix changer and we had to slow the rapid rate down to 30% so we didn't seperate the machine and tool changer. My opinion is that it's a great piece of equipment on a tried and true platform that would be a great addition to a shop. But, i'm obvioiusly partial to Okumas.

Did you slow only Arm movement or also MA and MB axes.
    Sub arm does not have support for tool changing.