585,591 active members*
2,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where to split parts for jgro cutting?

I currently have a jgro and plan on stepping up to a joe's 06. My current cutting bed is 14.5"X30". On the e-drawings joe has split the x bracing at roughly 17" and 41" to get the overall of 58". Those splits are on the center of the short bracing that goes the other way on alternating ends and when glued up make a strong joint. Would it be strong enough to make a butt joint at 29" in the center of all the pieces and eliminate the hole and cover with a scrap to span the space between the short bracing?

The router end support pieces also have the same problem. Where would be best to split them to have the best chance in getting the holes for the pipes to line up?

You would do yourself a favor to make the joint in between the cross bracing.. out in the open .. not in the joint itself.... then sister in some pieces on both sides that straddle that butt joint.. and bolt through the "sandwich" - this will yield a very strong joint.

Another alternative would be to mark the table and cut part of the piece...slide it forward to the mark on the table, and continue cutting.. in that manner you can make it as one single piece
    (one of the builders had a nice YouTube video of doing this.. was really slick... )

Another recommendation is to skip the "lighten-ing" holes.. they are put in to reduce shipping weight - they take time to cut and reduce the strength of the part..

Just my $0.015 worth.....

Joe
    www.CNC-Joe.com
    CNC Is Not Just My Passion.. It's My Addiction !!!!

Attached is a nest I did for my 2006. I cut all the parts on a Jgro.

Keith
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have been cutting all the other parts that will fit on my machine and I am now ready to cut the larger pieces. I have decided to put 1/4" holes in the parts and use locating pins to move the parts down and then cut the rest of the part. Should be easy to do and it will keep all the parts in one piece making them stronger.