585,575 active members*
3,727 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pricing question?

I have been asked if I can make a large (>3'X4') dimensional sign for a local business. I have never done sign work before, just small plaques and things of that nature. What is the general "ball park" pricing for a dimensional sign? Is there an acceptable price per square ft or is it time and material?

Thanks!
    Scott

depends on what material it is made with
    how intricate the design is
    what type of paint finish

price out the material - wood, pvc, hdu, etc.
    is the design work done - if not, how much time will be invested in computer graphic design
    once you have the design layout, then comes tool strategy and machine time. *programs like vectric aspire estimate machine time for each tool step - rough pass, finish pass, inlay, vcarve, profile cut
    then comes sanding, clean up, and paint prep
    finally, prime coating, color coats, detail cut in work, and possibly top coat clear
    oh, and also take into consideration mounting method - hardware.

Short answer - add up all your material costs, machine time and labor X your hourly rate, and don't forget a profit margin.
    there is no "ball park" pricing

btw, I'm a sign guy

There's a section on the forum for signmaking that may get some ideas

I have read of some individuals in the sign business having a 'price per square foot', plus a design fee, plus install.

Your time is worth more than the materials, and if you 'roll in' your design and install time, you can get caught with a customer that keeps making changes and just sucks your time dry, or changes their mind about install.

One sign person tends to take a design and make a 'miniature' of the sign, painted and all. If the customer wants the small sign, it has a VERY high charge (think $2000 or so). The signs tend to be 4x6 or smaller. He also keeps those on his 'trophy shelf' in the office to show as examples to potential customers. The idea is to NOT sell the miniature, but to get the customer to fall in love with the design to clench the sale. They also only make one miniature, any changes (and he only does one change for 'free' before charging $150/hr for design time) do not get another miniature.

But I think you might need some experience at doing dimensional signs so you don't get caught short.

Let us know how you decide to go.